• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead - 2013 - New Hope

Hi Everyone!

I started my season quite early this year... I was making the same mistake...again, and managed to cook my seeds. Despite of that there were 2 Naga Morich seeds germinating,this is the reason I am calling them 'The Survivors'. :P
At the end of February I was on a business trip to London, my peppers germinated just before of that. When I returned two weeks later, the seedlings were still very small, no improvement was seen, and the leaves were almost completely purple. I was searching on the forum, and I arrived to two possible reasons:
- Suncald: well, it was snowing, and practically it was winter, I really doubt that
- Lack of Phosphorus: caused by the poor soil. Since mine was fine, it wasobviously caused by the too cool soil, which was preventing the uptake of this element
I was giving them some light, and heat, and in two weeks the issue was resolved. :onfire:
I have the following plants now (30 in total):
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (8 plants)
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow (6)
- Naga Morich (9)
- Red Habanero (8)

I repotted them this week, and 19 of them is wearing 1.4 liter shoes, and 11 of them has 0.75 liter.

A week ago I was starting some more seeds, received from Rick (Stickman), except the Tobago Seasoning :P :
- Gochu
- Chimayo
- Serrano
- Jalapeno
- Tomatillo
- Tobago Seasoning
- Kurtovska Kapija
- Belcato Kapija

Thanks for watching!
Balázs

Very nice!

Did some research, much cooler where you are! But with that you can better get by with the frugal amounts of rain Mother Nature provides. The reason I asked about rain was because I noted the PVC pipes, I use them here for some of the trees. But for it to be really effective here a drip, system of some kind needs to be used....and that's costly. So I use 5 gal bucket with roughly a 10mm hole drilled to slowly release the water. We use a well the irrigate and I only use just enough, as water is such a valuable resource here.

Glad you have help with that monster plot!

Looks wonderful!

Scott

Hungarian Coloring Peppers (Sweet Paprika)

1 row Bell Pepper

Gochu

Distance shot about the peppers, supers and non-supers

Another plot of peppers. Aparting from the two rows on the right side (which are shop-bought Hungarian Stuffing Peppers), I do not know what plants are there. My parents have lost the labels. Kind of surprise bed. :-)

Hungarian TV Pepper - (TV stands for Tölteni Való, which is 'For Stuffing' in English)

Everything is looking super nice and organized Balázs, and best of all, you've got pods coming! That's gotta feel good. The Antohi Romanian looks nearly identical to your TV peppers. Hope you get a moderate amount of rain to help the plants grow and the flowers to stick my friend. Great job!

Devv said:
Very nice!

Did some research, much cooler where you are! But with that you can better get by with the frugal amounts of rain Mother Nature provides. The reason I asked about rain was because I noted the PVC pipes, I use them here for some of the trees. But for it to be really effective here a drip, system of some kind needs to be used....and that's costly. So I use 5 gal bucket with roughly a 10mm hole drilled to slowly release the water. We use a well the irrigate and I only use just enough, as water is such a valuable resource here.

Glad you have help with that monster plot!

Looks wonderful!

Scott
Hi Scott,
You are right, we have cooler temps here. Drip irrigation system is a real good thing. We used to grow cucumbers for sale. (we have a big garden) My father built a support system for them, 5 rows with 50 meters long, each. He put a 1.5 high net on it, and a drip system. Built a 2 meter high stage on which he put a big barrel, which was 200 liter.He was filling it with water (and ocassionally put fertilizer in it), and attached it to the drip system, so he always knew the amount which was watered.We still have 3 rows from the original system, 1 row have Blackberries, beans, grapes, the other has beefsteak tomatoes and beans, and the third has cucumbers. If you would like, I can post pictures about it. (disposed the barrel meantime, now the system is directly on the water system.)

Balázs

Ooh! I'd definitely like to see pics of your passive drip irrigation system. I have a large plastic barrel I picked up with the intention of making a rain trap. Plumbing it with a drip irrigation system would be just perfect! I could fill it with tap water or rainwater... whichever was most prevalent at the moment, and add liquid nutes as needed.

stickman said:
Ooh! I'd definitely like to see pics of your passive drip irrigation system. I have a large plastic barrel I picked up with the intention of making a rain trap. Plumbing it with a drip irrigation system would be just perfect! I could fill it with tap water or rainwater... whichever was most prevalent at the moment, and add liquid nutes as needed.

Devv said:

Unfortunately the drip irrigation system is now directly attached to the running water... But making one with a barell is quite easy. You just need a barell, which has two holes on it. You have to make a frame which can hold the barell (and you can use the gravity), on which you are going to lay the barell down. Into the hole, which is closer to the ground you have to instert a pipe, which is attached to a tap (so you can close and open the water flow), which is attached to a hose, which leads the water into the drip irrigation system. Through the upper hole you can fill the barrel up, and add the pre-mixed fertilizer, too. In case you don't want to fertilize, or you just need more water, you can unbuckle the barrel from the system, and link the system directly to the running water. Every drip irrigation tube has a measure, which tells you the amount of water flowing through the holes per hour. Normally it is 2-4 liters, depending on the tube. So if you turn the system on for 2 hours, you can be sure, that each of your plants get approx 4 liters of water, minimum.
I hope you could understand my description, I am not really good at these type of things. (not even my English knowledge is prepared for it :rolleyes: )
DocNrock said:
Plants and pods look fantastic, Balazs!

Thanks, Doc! I am just trying to learn from the Masters! :-)

Hey Balasz, you have a beautiful garden, I like the idea of having a lot of homegrown veggies :)

How are your tomatoes doing?

Mine have grown in big plants, but they have less pods then last few years. I guess it's the colder weather that is setting them back. Night low temps are still around 13-16 C.

Great pics of your folks' vegetable garden Balazs! Some of the varieties I recognized... we grew Scarlet Runner Beans a couple of years before the resident Chipmunk tunneled in and ate the roots. That's an unusual-looking Pumpkin... more cylindrical than the round, orange variety we grow here. Cheers!

MisterNo said:
Hey Balasz, you have a beautiful garden, I like the idea of having a lot of homegrown veggies :)

How are your tomatoes doing?

Mine have grown in big plants, but they have less pods then last few years. I guess it's the colder weather that is setting them back. Night low temps are still around 13-16 C.

Hi Robert,
Thank you. It is really great. I mean it is great if you know what you are eating, and you do not have to stand in a row at the market.
The tomatoes are very hard to kill to be honest. I have seen very tiny plants growing into big beasts in the previous years. Our tomatoes are doing fine as I can see.
Aparting from the supported ones (beafsteak, cherry, and one more), we have two beds having them. Yeah, they love the heat. They just die when the autumn weather arrives with the rains. Until then, they are pumping out the pods.
What do you do with your tomatoes? What are the methods to preserve them?

stickman said:
Great pics of your folks' vegetable garden Balazs! Some of the varieties I recognized... we grew Scarlet Runner Beans a couple of years before the resident Chipmunk tunneled in and ate the roots. That's an unusual-looking Pumpkin... more cylindrical than the round, orange variety we grow here. Cheers!

Thanks Rick! Are chipmunks a big issue at your place? We do not have any in Hungary. That pumpkin is a Hungarian one. We made several dish from it. (deep fried-breaded etc) It has a soft flesh, and dill is it's spice.

HabaneroHead said:
Thanks Rick! Are chipmunks a big issue at your place? We do not have any in Hungary. That pumpkin is a Hungarian one. We made several dish from it. (deep fried-breaded etc) It has a soft flesh, and dill is it's spice.

It wouldn't usually be a problem Balázs. Chipmunks live solitary lives except during breeding season and individual Chipmunks don't have a large foraging range, but our backyard is so small that one can wipe out anything in it in a few nights of concerted effort.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_chipmunk
I assume your Hungarian Pumpkin is savory rather than sweet if you're flavoring it with Dill. That's pretty cool!

stickman said:

It wouldn't usually be a problem Balázs. Chipmunks live solitary lives except during breeding season and individual Chipmunks don't have a large foraging range, but our backyard is so small that one can wipe out anything in it in a few nights of concerted effort.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_chipmunk
I assume your Hungarian Pumpkin is savory rather than sweet if you're flavoring it with Dill. That's pretty cool!

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the info about chipmunks. I met with them first in the zoo, then in London in February.
I just checked, and what we call pumpkin, you might call squash. (we use only one word for them) Probably it makes more sense :-)

Today I made some pics with my old HP Photosmart M525 camera...which will explain the blurry closeup pics...
The plants are doing well, though the heatwave is still with us, with no rain. They are forecasting storms for next Tuesday to the region, so I am worried. Storms following a 35-40 Celsius heat are usually very strong. Last year one of the in July made our polytunnel to collapse...with the help of the neighbour's roof.

Anyways, pics, just for your (and my) fun :-)

Group pictures

Naga Morich - some of them has tail...might be a cross with a CARDI Scorpion?

Some of them are pretty big, I guess due to the watering

Red Habanero - got some pods on it. The plants are quite small, but they are pumping out the pods

Red Hab plant, which got a nice hailstorm damage. It is doing fine. My ugly boot as size reference.

Thanks for watching!

Balázs

Back