• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead Glog 2012 - Better late than never - Picture Heavy

Hi PepperHeads!

It's been a while since I posted anything about my peppers, but it does not mean I was not following what's going on THP. As usual I did not only get inspiration, but also useful hints and kindness from the team members. And on the top of that, I managed to infect some of my friends, my family and my girlfriend with this addiction. :P

Anyways, ling story short, last december Jack and Ela (aka Superhot and Ela on this forum) was so kind and sent me a batch of seeds (thank you for that, again):
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
- Fatalii Red/Yellow
- Tobago Seasoning
- Naga Morich
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow

Unfortunately I could not make the Fatalii and Tobago Seasoning germinated, probably I cooked them with my reptile heat mat.

So the varieties I have now:
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (6)
- Naga Morich (4)
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow (4)
- Bishop's Crown (2)
- Golden Habanero (6)
- Red Habanero (8)
- Aji Lemon Drop (7)

I was not taking into consideration the overwintered red habs, since I am not sure how they will perform, but I was giving them a chance, and they are trying to do their best in the ground.

Let's see some pics now!

6th of March 2012
6thofMar2012024.jpg

6thofMar2012020.jpg

Store bought Golden Habanero, i was taking out the seeds. Out of 10 seeds, 8 germinated, and now I have 6 healthy plants
6thofMar2012013.jpg

6thofMar2012010.jpg

My Bonchi, which I was making to my girlfriend, and it successfully survived the winter:
Bonchi.jpg

1st of April 2012
My babies having sunbath
pictures226.jpg

pictures221.jpg

Bhut doing weird things, I thought the stem may stay in this shape (what a Bonchi!), but in few weeks it straightened.
pictures235.jpg

Superhots are doing well
pictures208.jpg

Aji Lemon Drop: tall, but has strong stem. They were getting the same light, ferts etc, but they are a little bit of leggy.
pictures206.jpg

Things look great!!!! Happy pods makes a happy person :dance:

Thank you, Sanarda! :-)

Coming on nice Balázs,

I was a bit behind on your Glog, for some reason the "follow" button un-followed, yet again?? so i didn't get an email notification.
I want to try tartare with Bhut Jolokia this year Balázs, had it with cuz Zoli earlier in the year & thought it could do with more heat.

Good luck for the rest of the season, i think you should get a good harvest & next year will be interesting in your parents garden after the train has stopped by. :flamethrower:

Mezo.

Thanks, Mezo, I did not know that anybody is following my glog :-) Bhut Jolokia tartare? Are you mad? :fireball: You will sh...ting lava :drooling:
It seems that the train got sidetracked... Anyways, I got all the seeds for the train and waiting for it.
I cannot wait to harvest the peppers from my parent's garden, I should have a really good one from the 40 plants. Now I just have to decide what to do with them...

Take care,
Balázs

Hi PepperHeads!

It's been 3 weeks since the last update, so it is time to show my Bhut! :fireball:

The peppers in my parent's garden are doing well, but last week I almost got a heart attack: there was a big storm and the roof of our neighbour's barn was blown away...straight to our polytunnel... And the peppers were just next to it. Thanks for God nothing happened with my babies, but the frame of the polytunnel broke, so we had to break it down. Briefly it means that my plan that I can just extend the growing season by 3-4 weeks by digging out the grow bags and putting them in...well...I cannot find the words. People plan God laughs. :confused:

Anyways, my plants are doing well, let's just show you some pod pictures, first, then, upon interest, I will post more pics about the garden and the plants.

14th of July 2012

Golden Hab - lonely pod
GoldenHab.jpg

Naga Morich
NagaMorich.jpg

Naga Morich Pod - I really like the shape of it
NagaPod.jpg

Red Habs - Second harvest from OW plant
RedHabs.jpg

TS CARDI Yellow in pot - Scary, isn't it? :P
TSCARDIPod.jpg

TS CARDI Yellow in ground - Cluster of pods. The plant itself is not realy big, but it is trying :-)
TSCARDICluster.jpg

Owerwintered Red Hab - Would be a volunteer in the TV Show 'I shouldn't be alive', since I was noob and 'tried' to kill it in several ways, now it has more pods than leaves. :fireball:
RedHab2ndYear.jpg

Same plant, close up
RedHab2ndYearPods.jpg

Balázs

Wow... I'm impressed with that overwintered habanero! I'm going to try to do the same thing. I have two habs, so I'm hoping that improves my odds of getting one through the winter until next spring. Cheers

Thank you, Guys!
The OW is one of my favourite, I am going to dig it out and try to grow it next year, too.

Just becaus you liked it, I thought I'd share some more pic about the OW section:

OW tree, loaded with pods:
OW_Tree.jpg

Same RedHab plant, from under
OW_FromUnder.jpg

Closer shot
OW_FromUnder2.jpg

Othe OW Red Hab plant, lets call it Nr2
OW2_RedHab.jpg

It is getting bigger and bigger
OW_Nr2.jpg

RedHab, Nr3, the smallest, it almost died, then recovered
OW_n3.jpg

This year's RedHab, cluster of pods
RedHab_Cluster_2012.jpg

Another RedHab, giant pod:
RedHab_Giant.jpg

Balázs

Whoa! RED HAB! Mine is loaded also but doesn't have the size of yours. I've never had a red hab before though I've had many orange, but I ate an unripe pod the other day that had dropped from the plant( I think from the heat) and I already I love the flavor of it over the orange hab.

Wow! I can just about feel the burn from here! :hell: Really nice looking OW plants HH!

Thank you, Stickman!

Whoa! RED HAB! Mine is loaded also but doesn't have the size of yours. I've never had a red hab before though I've had many orange, but I ate an unripe pod the other day that had dropped from the plant( I think from the heat) and I already I love the flavor of it over the orange hab.
I have never tried the Orange Hab :P But even the Gold one has different taste than the Red. The biggest OW Red Hab was kind of unique last year, since after forking out it was divided into 3 branches, instead of the 2, like the others did.

Hi Balázs
On an unrelated side note... do you follow the brass band festival in Guca, Serbia at all? I'm mad for the Balkan Brass sound of people like Ekrem Sajdic, Dusko Goykovic, Goran Bregovic and Boban Markovic. I've always liked the music from the region, but for some reason, the brass bands really resonate with me. Cheers

Hi Balázs
On an unrelated side note... do you follow the brass band festival in Guca, Serbia at all? I'm mad for the Balkan Brass sound of people like Ekrem Sajdic, Dusko Goykovic, Goran Bregovic and Boban Markovic. I've always liked the music from the region, but for some reason, the brass bands really resonate with me. Cheers
Hi Rick,
To be honest I do not know anything about this kind of music. But it does not mean anything, since I never had time to discover them, there was always somebody, who shown them to me :-) I am listening anything from stoner rock, heavy metal, via 90's rap, hip-hop, classical music, gospel, so I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip. It is amazing that I can learn new things week by week, not only about growing, but also cooking (that is Pinoy and you, mostly :P ).

Take care,
Balázs

Hi Rick,
To be honest I do not know anything about this kind of music. But it does not mean anything, since I never had time to discover them, there was always somebody, who shown them to me :-) I am listening anything from stoner rock, heavy metal, via 90's rap, hip-hop, classical music, gospel, so I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip. It is amazing that I can learn new things week by week, not only about growing, but also cooking (that is Pinoy and you, mostly :P ).

Take care,
Balázs
Here's a little taste of it if anybody is interested. Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myf7vSEfTVM

Here's a little taste of it if anybody is interested. Cheers

Hi Rick,

Interesting staff. It is a ittle bit similar to the Klezmer.

Balázs

Update time, let's start with the good things.

21st of July 2012

Lemon Drop
I have 7 plants in total, and they are gong nuts. They were just a stick, now forming the biggest pepper bush ever in our garden. They are just flowering and forming the pods continuously. However they are the only ones who are dropping the pods. I guess it is due to the dry weather and the lack of watering.

Baccatuum_Row.jpg

Lemondropnew-1.jpg

lemondropfromabove-1.jpg

lemondropstalk-1.jpg

TS CARDI Yellow

The shape of them is one of my favourite. They are just scary!

TS_Cluster.jpg

TS_Cluster2.jpg

Buds'n flowers

TS_Buds_Flowers.jpg

I broke off an unripe pod accidently...now it is waiting for me in the fridge...I am preparing... :drooling:
TSPod.jpg

Wow! looks like you're almost there with the TS Cardi Yellows... I'm curious how the heat and flavor differ between the green one you dropped today and one that's fully ripe. Cheers!

Wow! looks like you're almost there with the TS Cardi Yellows... I'm curious how the heat and flavor differ between the green one you dropped today and one that's fully ripe. Cheers!

Yeah, this is how I planned. I should have the first ripe pods of the superhots in the first two weeks of August, so I will still have another 6 weeks from the season... Then the overwintering game begins :P I was planning to cut this unripe pod and try it today, but I am going to travel back to Budapest today, by train, and it takes 4.5 hours...eating some superhot and feeling the pain in the stomach is too dangerous. :flamethrower: I tried a small slice of an unripe Bhut last week, and it was hotter I have ever eaten...if it gets hotter...I do not know for what to use it :D

I know this date Balázs it was my birthday.

And here is me with my 84yr old Hungarian Aunty all the way from Hungary celebrating the day, she liked my Pepper`s.

mesz.jpg

Mezo.

Happy Birthday, Mezo! :cheers: I can say it differently: Boldog Születésnapot!
So finally you became 21! :clap:
Of course your auntie liked your peppers, she is Hungarian :D
On the other hand she does not look like 84, good genes I guess.

Balázs

Back