• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habaneros need magnesium and calcium and, and, and...

Today, talking to my professor friend from the agricultural dept. of her uni, she asked me how much calcium and how much magnesium Habaneros need. This was after I told her that I'd read it takes these nutes for healthy Habaneros and chinense in general. I should add that my Costa Rica red Hab seedlings are fine, but my orange Habanero seedlings are not looking so good.
So, just how much of those nutrients do they need? Can somebody quantify it for me? Maybe in relation to nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium? I don't have any idea.
Anybody out there who can give me a definitive answer? :(

I've had lots of troble with Calcium in Thailand now I just use crushed egg shells in the dirt. It did the job so far. Sorry would like to write more but have to go. Talk with you later

Exavier said:
I've had lots of troble with Calcium in Thailand now I just use crushed egg shells in the dirt. It did the job so far. Sorry would like to write more but have to go. Talk with you later

Thanks; we're starting to save egg shells today. Actually, we really are, but I did find a micro-nute that has calcium but I've never seen how much is recommended, so I don't know if it's enough. I was hoping for a little more response to my question; oh well....

Hi
Considering you just posted this a little while ago, I would't be too disappointed by the slow response. I can't give you an exact percentage, as I'm not a plant biologist. However, the fine folks at New Mexico University in Las Cruces might know. I would recommend sending them an email. I also do the crushed egg shells, when I transplant them outside. I have also used lime pellets that I purchased at a garden shop. Hope this helps.

Calcium Nitrate............... i'm not too sure about the wt % required......... but from experience........ almost every fert. i buy tells me one tablespoon to a gallon.............. so i do just that....... mix a tablespoon of the Ca(NO3)2 in a gallon of water.......... spray it on the leaves (its aqueous...... so it should work exactly like a foliar fert.) and then around the roots............

i usually use Miracle Gro as my fert. (10-15-10), but the ingredients don't mention calcium, magnesium and sulfur..... so i assume there isn't any........ also the nitrogen is not in a nitrate form..... i think i am going to start to take the mad scientist approach and just average in a "bucket chemistry" kinda way......... add a bit of calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate salts...... mix that in together with the Miracle gro............ and there it is....... add a tablespoon of that to a gallon of water and starting fert.! ......... i'll let u kno how it goes!

Gypsum is good for breaking up clay soils but it takes a while to be effective. Id recommend dolomitic lime or wood ash as they contain calcium(and magnesium in the dolomitic lime) and can help balance pH in acid soils

chillilover said:
I've never added calcium and have done pretty good. I use hard water though. Are my plants getting it in the water?

Must be getting it naturally from your water or something in the soil.
My plants used to pucker badly before i started using bone meal. Maybe its because I have all chinense varieties which require alot of calcium?

FadeToBlack said:
Must be getting it naturally from your water or something in the soil.
My plants used to pucker badly before i started using bone meal. Maybe its because I have all chinense varieties which require alot of calcium?
Even my chinenses were fine , naga morich, trinidad scorpion, orange hab, red carribean hab, yellow 7 pod ect

chillilover said:
I've never added calcium and have done pretty good. I use hard water though. Are my plants getting it in the water?

I've never really needed any extra calcium for peppers either , just a couple sprays of epsom salts(magnesium) early on for chinenses but always extra calcium for tomatoes

POTAWIE said:
I've never really needed any extra calcium for peppers either , just a couple sprays of epsom salts(magnesium) early on for chinenses but always extra calcium for tomatoes

Must be our hard Ontario water?

origamiRN said:
Hi
Considering you just posted this a little while ago, I would't be too disappointed by the slow response. I can't give you an exact percentage, as I'm not a plant biologist. However, the fine folks at New Mexico University in Las Cruces might know. I would recommend sending them an email. I also do the crushed egg shells, when I transplant them outside. I have also used lime pellets that I purchased at a garden shop. Hope this helps.

But, but you guys have spoiled me with quick responses in the past. ;)

trinicoolieboy said:
Calcium Nitrate............... i'm not too sure about the wt % required......... but from experience........ almost every fert. i buy tells me one tablespoon to a gallon.............. so i do just that....... mix a tablespoon of the Ca(NO3)2 in a gallon of water.......... spray it on the leaves (its aqueous...... so it should work exactly like a foliar fert.) and then around the roots............

i usually use Miracle Gro as my fert. (10-15-10), but the ingredients don't mention calcium, magnesium and sulfur..... so i assume there isn't any........ also the nitrogen is not in a nitrate form..... i think i am going to start to take the mad scientist approach and just average in a "bucket chemistry" kinda way......... add a bit of calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate salts...... mix that in together with the Miracle gro............ and there it is....... add a tablespoon of that to a gallon of water and starting fert.! ......... i'll let u kno how it goes!

Now that sounds like a plan; I've got this product called Fetrilon-Combi 1 and it has everything but calcium. Here's the ingredients;
MgO 9.o%
Fe 1.5%
Mn 4.0%
Cu 1.5%
S 3.0%
Zn 1.5% (Soil here is especially lacking Zinc)
B .05%
Mo 0.1%
I just got it so I haven't really had a chance to use it. Calcium nitrate sounds good. The 9% for magnesium seems seems like it would be okay in the Fetrilon. Thanks.

LUCKYDOG said:
can you post a picture of the Orange Habs ? is there anything you are doing differently between the 2?

Good question. Normally I would post a picture, BUT, 30 minutes ago, we just had our first gully washer of the year and it flattened my orange Habs. The Costa reds are fine. It looks like I'll be starting over with the orange Habs; I just planted 8 more seeds. I can't think of anything I've done differently; I mixed up a large batch of soil and used it for both. There is one thing; the Costa Rica's were from Costa Rica (hot country), but my orange Habs came from Sea Springs Seeds in England. Until today we've had 48 days of 37c and the last 3 days were 38, 39, and 39. The Costas did great but I had to move my Orange into a spot that only got morning sun for 2 hours. Until they got flattened they did seem to stabilize but looks like I'll never know for sure.
Thanks.

^ Oh, I forgot and it's a biggy; the Costa Rica Reds I'm growing are 1st generation seeds. The seeds came from a plant I grew and got fruit from (my avatar) here in Thailand. I will post pictures tomorrow of those guys.

Back