• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Habs in semi ripe state

You can also make salsa verde from green chiles, either cooked or salsa fresca.

Best salsas I've had in Mexico are salsas verde.

willard3 said:
You can also make salsa verde from green chiles, either cooked or salsa fresca.

Best salsas I've had in Mexico are salsas verde.

Hell yeah! That's two votes for salsa verde

Are these unripe habs a seasonal thing? From september to november all the habs at Fair way supermarket were ripe and orange and super fresh with green stems, then starting in the new year they were mostly green with maybe 10% that were still completely ripe, you just had to dig through them. I went yesterday and there wasn't a single ripe one, all green.

UnNatural said:
Are these unripe habs a seasonal thing? From september to november all the habs at Fair way supermarket were ripe and orange and super fresh with green stems, then starting in the new year they were mostly green with maybe 10% that were still completely ripe, you just had to dig through them. I went yesterday and there wasn't a single ripe one, all green.

I got a pack about 2 weeks ago at Shop-Rite supermarket and they were all ripe except one. I figured due to the Superbowl or something - uptick in hot food recipes?? - that might be why. I'll see if they get any ripe ones this week.

The mostly unripe pack was bought yesterday and my wife said that was the ONLY pack left so I was lucky I got those.

Txclosetgrower said:
Muahahaha one of the benefits of shopping at mexican grocery stores. I'm an absolute sucker for a corked, red jalapeno!

3190165212_ba7decf27f_o.jpg

Oh, and green habs aren't necessarily a bad thing.....some of my favorite salsa is a roasted green habanero & tomatillo salsa. Absolutely fantastic. Mmm....charred green habaneros.....

Aww man, i've never even seen one of those in real life let alone tasted one! I've only read stories and drooled about them. They sound awesome.

UnNatural said:
Aww man, i've never even seen one of those in real life let alone tasted one! I've only read stories and drooled about them. They sound awesome.
Just don't add them to a beef stew...unless it's only for you. My girl wouldn't touch the stew with red jalapenos in it. :lol:

That curry pic is awesome W. Very cool.

fineexampl said:
Just don't add them to a beef stew...unless it's only for you. My girl wouldn't touch the stew with red jalapenos in it. :lol:

That curry pic is awesome W. Very cool.

Is it a heat thing? Or a look/taste/texture thing? I find they're not really any hotter than green ones, a helluva lot sweeter but not quite as crisp.

Txclosetgrower said:
Is it a heat thing? Or a look/taste/texture thing? I find they're not really any hotter than green ones, a helluva lot sweeter but not quite as crisp.
These were incredibly hot the ones i used. It was a difficult meal to finish. :mouthonfire: But yeah, hot and sweet. Ruined the beef stew flavor, but made for a hellish dinner.

I hit a different Shop-Rite on my way home from work and they had several packs of Habs but most were unripe or semi-ripe. I got a pack that had one nice reddish ripe one, which I cut up and had with some crispy chicken skin wrapped around it :mouthonfire: Very nice. I had another semi rip one this morning in my homemade McMuffins.... Love these things. I think my heat tolerance is going up. I remember when a mere bit of a hab would cause mymouth to be on fire. Now it's hot but not nearly as...

Back