• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hadanero's Lanco Pepper Grow 2024

So, we're finally in a house and I'm getting ready for my first growing season with an actual yard. The patio back in Málaga was wonderful and never had snow, but I'll be able to grow more than four pepper plants at a time here.

I'm not germinating any seeds for the spring just yet, but I did put together a little indoor germination station and started three varieties that'll go into mini-Kratky systems, and one that'll go into a 5-gal Kratky bucket. Never tried hydroponics before, but thought this was a good chance to get my feet wet. The varieties are: Peruvian White Habaneros and Yellow MOA Scotch Bonnets from Midwest Chile Heads, as well as Aji Ayuyo and Er Jing Tao from CaneDog.

My heating mat is a cheap one off the shelf from a local grow shop. Don't have a thermostat yet, but will see how it goes and pick one up if needed. The light overhead is the Sansi 36W full spectrum LED bulb. I have two, so I can increase the light as things progress. Finally picked up a timer too.

If there are any suggestions, I'm more than open to them. Should I lower the light some? It's currently 13" off the tops of the rockwool.

PXL_20231207_133206516.jpg PXL_20240103_210733137.jpg

Last edited:
All right - a lot's been happening in a few weeks. Here's some photos:

First up, Fushimis. I have two plants loaded with pods. They're starting to ripen from green to yellow, and because my job has me on the road for the next 4 weeks, I decided to pick and freeze some of the annuums. I had tried a green Fushimi pod two weeks ago and they tasted like soap - these taste much better now. Family's keeping an eye on my plants while gone, so I hope picking these gives the plants time to throw out another flush.

PXL_20240721_185306589.jpg

Next up, Calvin's Jalapeños. These are unidentified jalapeños from Midwest Chileheads, hence the name. (One of my kids is also named Calvin.) Plenty of healthy looking green peppers on two plants. Strangely, these are the only seeds from MWC that ended up growing well. This bowl-full will go in the freezer for pickling in the fall. And in the second bowl, a pile of Zapotecs (and one Aji Pineapple). These are from Baker Creek, and the two plants are vigorous and loaded. I left the smaller pods to ripen, but picked and froze a good number.

PXL_20240721_190647240.jpg

PXL_20240721_194908908.jpg

Next up,two photos of Baker Creek Aji Chombo plants. The one in the pot has just a few pods, but one of these is ripening. The one in the ground has spread out nicely, grows very low, and has dozens of pods. I'm not picking these, I'm just hoping they'll ripen slowly and be at the right place when I get back in 4 weeks.
PXL_20240721_193635411.jpg

PXL_20240721_190337434.jpg

After that, I have several pods growing nicely on the Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet plant. This is potted as well, and I wasn't sure how it would do, but these pods are growing quickly and they look vicious. The seeds were a gift from @Sawyer and I hope to pass some along, though they weren't isolated.

PXL_20240721_193555170.jpg
PXL_20240721_193603039.jpg

And I have a pair of plants loaded with Aji Pineapple peppers.At least I think these are Aji Pineapples. They came from Facebook if I remember correctly. I'm just including one picture, but both plants are similarly loaded up.

PXL_20240721_194229229.jpg

And a shot of the Peppadew plants from @mattspeppers - a very healthy plant, and I'm keen to try them!

PXL_20240721_194245237.jpg

And then some Zebrange pods on a healthy plant, seeds also from @mattspeppers (I'll be getting more seeds from Matt in the future - I've been very happy with the results).

PXL_20240721_194315473.jpg

Okay, and I think this is the last. These are Pimenta Bode Amarillo from @mattspeppers and I picked a few of the more yellow peppers to try. They are hot. My kids laughed hysterically as I suffered. This is also in a pot, but the plant has done very well in spite of the poor potting soil. Again, credit to Matt for good seed. I have really liked the growth pattern of this plant.

PXL_20240721_193506842.jpg

So, hopefully the peppers still on the plants don't overrippen in my absence, and hopefully the jalapeño and fushimi plants push out a lot more pods while I'm gone!

A quick update with some photos from my sister-in-law who has kindly kept my plants alive while I've been on the road.

First up, I've got some nice looking pods on the P. Dreadie.
Screenshot_1.png

And second up, some nice pods ripened on the Aji Chombo:
Screenshot_2.png

I'm back home in three days, so I'm eager to check things out in person and get some better photos for a future update. My biggest question is the status of the Aji Pineapple plants - they were very productive, and I was hoping they'd ripen well while I was away.

Okay, part 1 here is just the patio peppers. My sister-in-law's pic of the P. Dreadie (G3-2020, source @Sawyer) plant had me happy there were a couple ripe pods but bummed there were only a couple. Turns out she just doesn't get low enough--there's about a dozen, looks like.

1000008276.jpg

I'll be picking them soon, trying one, maybe making a mash or powder with the others, and saving seeds both for my own use and for others here.

The other good plant is the Pimenta Bode Amarillo. I like these, and will be smashing them up for a paste. I'll save some seeds as well.

1000008277.jpg

And finally, a mystery pepper. Any ideas what this is? I had the seed marked as Pimenta Bode Amarillo, but it's clearly not. It also doesn't look like other peppers on my list for this year.

1000008278.jpg

Attachments

• 1000008279.jpg
    1000008279.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That mystery pepper is hot--maybe habanero level--but not insane. The heat shows up immediately, but stays on the tongue. No particularly fruity nor floral flavor or odor--just heat. At the same time, there's no offensive flavor and I think it'd be good either as a powder or pickled. Walls are on the thin side. I'm guessing it's not a specific variety, just a random cross, but if there are any ideas as to what it is, I'm open to them.

Edit to add: Maybe a Datil? I thought all my datil seedlings failed, but maybe this is one?

1000008279.jpg

1000008280.jpg

Last edited:
Certainly has a nice orange color...
I thought so too - solid and rich. I'm really happy with the color.
It does look similar to a Datil, and the heat level sounds about right too.
Occam tells me this must be it. I bought seeds from Pure Florida Datils on a recommendation from @Bou and it looks very much like photos of their pods. I had thought all the Datil seeds failed, but I am glad to have been wrong!

This is another small harvest - not pictured are another handful of P. Dreadies and PBAs. My family helped pick, so a few Peppadews and Chombos aren't totally ripe yet.

When in Málaga, I think my whole harvest was smaller than what I've picked since Sunday. I'm enjoying having the extra space for extra plants.

1000016050.jpg

Back