• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hardening off question

would keeping my fatalii in an east facing window, and then moving it to a west facing window each day, so that it only gets about an hour of shade each day, be adequate enough to harden off the plant?

or would it need to be outside?

Minion §1 said:
would keeping my fatalii in an east facing window, and then moving it to a west facing window each day, so that it only gets about an hour of shade each day, be adequate enough to harden off the plant?

or would it need to be outside?

Hardening off a plant is gradually exposing it to the environment, not just the sun. With that said, your window placement may be enough, depending on your local outdoor temp swings and weather at the time. You could increase you chances by adding a small fan to your window treatment to stimulate a stronger plant stem.

You need to slowly bring the plants outside to harden them off to their new environment(sun, wind, precipitation etc.)

I forgot to add that it would still be advisable to introduce your plant to mother nature is small steps like Potawie said.

If you can't be there during this process, try to locate sheltered areas outdoors to limit their exposure and then gradually diminish their protection.

Minion §1 said:
so, do i wait til it starts to wilt?
or just do it like an extra hour each day?

Just gradually increase their exposure each day. No, you don't want them to wilt if you can avoid it.

well, ive been gradually increasing the time it spends outside each day.(+1-2 extra hours each day)
havn't seen any problems with it, and i kept it out for 10 hours today.

i've been thinking about potting it this weekend and just putting it under a tree for at least a couple days, then moving it out into the open.

should it be alright at this point if i did this?

Minion §1 said:
well, ive been gradually increasing the time it spends outside each day.(+1-2 extra hours each day)

i've been thinking about potting it this weekend and just putting it under a tree for at least a couple days, then moving it out into the open.

Sounds like a good plan. It should be good to go. Just protect it from high winds and direct sunlight for a few days while it adjusts to the new pot.

Minion §1 said:

Looks like you're on the road to success. :)

Back