• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening off?

Stupid newbie question time!

I think "Hardening off" means preparing your plants for living in the wild outdoors, as opposed to the gentle controlled atmosphere indoors.

What is the procedure, please? I will be doing this in about a month I suppose.

You want to gradually expose your plants to the outdoor elements such as sun and wind. You can start by putting plants out on cloudy days or for short periods of sun and then increase the exposure each day until they are "hardened"

Ive always germinated my plants out in the back porch, so they have always been exposed to certain wind and temp changes.
I sit seeds out where they can get some sun for warmth during the day then put them back under shelter at night.
After the first sprouts start comming up, I then move them out of the direct sun and put them under my germination lights.
When the seedlings have a few sets of real leaves i put them on the front porch for a few hours of morning sun.
Move them out further every few days to increase exposure of sun before they get shaded by the roof as the sun rotates.

This has been working very well for me so far. I used to try harding off with afternoon sun but it was much more intense than the mornings.

Hope this helps.

Back