• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Harvesting sorghum

Anyone here every raise sorghum and if so, make sugar from it? What did you use to squeeze the canes? I'm going to try to grow about 20 plants which if they turn out real good would give me a gallon of juice, though I don't know if that is before or after boiling. I don't know if an old-fashioned grinder used to make stuff like horseradish would work or not (I realize I would have to cut the canes into smaller pieces).

Mike

Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I have found a simple way. Rent one of those rollers used for packing asphalt. Clean it off real good, of course, and build a trough to place it in. Then roll it back and forth over the canes until they are completely smashed. I have 32 plants growing so far and another 3-4 ready to transplant. From what I have read, it takes 20-25 plants to make a gallon of syrup (in a good year!) so I should be covered.

Mike

You know what also might work is a tomato juicer? I am sure you have one of those already and they seem to do a pretty good job of getting rid of moisture in tomatoes, just an idea.

I may have found the perfect press: an old Maytag Wringer Washer. I hope it works - wouldn't it be sweet (poor pun) to have 30 gallons of sorghum juice in a tub! But... I found out too late I have a cat with a sweet tooth, or maybe a whole mouthful of sweet teeth. She loves to hang out in my grow room and has never bothered a plant. But today, she ate the tops off all 18 transplants. I believe sorghum is a grass, so it may not hurt anything, but I did move the plants to a closed chamber where she cannot get to them!

Mike

Mike...I get a kick out of you man...your tobacco farming past and just plain farming past is coming back to haunt you...next thing you know you will be wanting to build a pond to start harvesting algae to make your own agar with or something like that... :rofl:

:it's all good my friend:

AJ,

You know what they say: you can take the boy out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the boy!

You are so right - I love this, though some may say I am infatuated! But in all honesty, I would rather be upstairs in my grow room or out in my greenhouse than at a bar, party or even watching part of the Stupid Bowl - though I was glad NO won!

FWIW, one of the plants under the new LED is a seedling from the 7-pod seeds you sent. I want to see how it grows.

No doubt, I'm crazy, but my son wants to move to his own place (he's 27) and my daughter probably will follow in a few months (she's 18 and a senior). That will give me two more rooms in my house to grow tomatoes and other stuff in, rooms that are already being heated/cooled. My goal, by 2012, is to be growing 400 tomato plants at a time. The entire year, not just during summer. I could make a living doing this! And a fun living, one that I got from being a country boy!

Mike

Back