• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Has anyone noticed that dairy really doesn't help?

So, every time I've ever eaten really spicy food: Wings, sauces, Asian foods... I've always noticed that whenever I go for the milk, it feels as though it ultimately makes it worse. This is for two reasons:

1) The spice seems to embed itself in my lips and tongue, and takes forever to go away.

2) When the dairy hits my stomach, I feel instantly bloated and/or sick, even if I'm just sipping on it. It's almost as if the milk curdles in my stomach with the capsacin (not sure if that's scientifically possible though).

What do you all think? Do you get this while drinking milk and eating spicy food? If so, what do you think causes it?

You may be lactose intolerant like me. While I do feel as if milk helps with the heat, it does bloat my stomach and I have to sit on the toilet for a very long time...

HotSauceJ said:
What do you all think?

Mostly I just think we are all different - just as capsaicin bothers some of us more than others, one "remedy" works better for some than others. And consider that you might have a mild or just starting lactose intolerance. My son only developed lactose intolerance within the last couple years, so that does happen.

Gatorade kills my belly burn,,I like the mouth burn

But a piece of Kraft singles laid directly on the tongue is very effective 

:cool:
Kevin

The intolerance thing... that sounds likely.

One thing I've found with milk, unhomogenised works better than homogenised for me. In fact, homogenised doesn't seem to really do anything at all. I guess the mangled fat globules just don't cut it.

Far superior, though, at least in my book... yoghurt.

higher fat content works better for killing the burn as well as sugar.  If you are drinking non-fat milk...kinda defeats the purpose.  Someone a long time ago said the best "cure" is high fat cottage cheese with sugar. :shrug:

Whole milk Ice Cream, cottage cheese, sour cream, whipping cream, cream cheese (non-Eagles type).....  You should only need a spoonful or 2 of high fat dairy to get some relief, whereas a quart of non-fat milk will only make you full. 

When at festvals or markets, I keep some sugar cubes handy, they seem to help when someone gets in over their tolerance.

salsalady said:
higher fat content works better for killing the burn as well as sugar.  If you are drinking non-fat milk...kinda defeats the purpose.  Someone a long time ago said the best "cure" is high fat cottage cheese with sugar. :shrug:

Whole milk Ice Cream, cottage cheese, sour cream, whipping cream, cream cheese (non-Eagles type).....  You should only need a spoonful or 2 of high fat dairy to get some relief, whereas a quart of non-fat milk will only make you full. 

When at festvals or markets, I keep some sugar cubes handy, they seem to help when someone gets in over their tolerance.

Oh yea? Go ahead try finding Seahawk cream cheez. Good luck :rofl:

Hey, we have Seahawks Tortilla chips with Cougar Gold Cheese for the most epic nachos ever!   
Chips21.jpg

And we have Seahawks Ice cream..... 

Dont' need no stinkin' cream cheese!  :razz:

:D

hogleg said:
Try 1/2&1/2 the higher fat content helps

I prefer a wedge of lemon or lime, sometimes with a dash of salt if its really bad
I thought kinda the same thing and looked into a higher fat containing dairy such as buttermilk or cream.
Apparently there is less casein present in those than in just milk. Recommendations for high casein content dairy is milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. Its not the fat its the protein.

Inedible said:
If you are at home, can you use milk to ease the burn in your mouth and just spit it out?

Yes. From what I understand, stuff in the dairy binds with capsaicinoids. Swish milk/dairy around in the mouth and spit it out should help. I haven't specifically tried that technique but it should work.

Honey is said to be the best for HEAT relief.  Saw this on a food program couple weeks ago.  Never tried it, but will the next time the need should arise.

Anything with sugar content will help. Went to a salsa contest 15 years ago and the has carrot slices for burn relief.
The Scoville heat scale is based on how much sugar water was needed to neutralize the heat of the chiles.

hogleg said:
Try 1/2&1/2 the higher fat content helps

I prefer a wedge of lemon or lime, sometimes with a dash of salt if its really bad
I actually notcied when I was eating my Pad Thai last night that citrus really helps alleviate the initial burn.

I've tasted raw Trinidad scorpions, Red Brain Strain and Reapers in the last two weeks. I think whole fat Greek yogurt or bread helps the most.

I use cream cheese, primarily because it's in group things that works, and is the one I can eat plain the easiest ...

Gimme that block of Philadelphia and a butter knife ...

I often eat my pepper jelly mixed into 4% cottage cheese, which I really like as a snack ...

Back