• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Have a look tell me what you think!

I started these from seeds in March of 2010, moved indoor and then bedded mid spring 2011. I was under the impression I am growing Naga Jolokia and Red Savina, the red Savina isn't in question but a friend is convinced my ghosts are Bhut Jolokia. I am unsure of the differences and was looking for some insight and what some people who are more familiar to chime in. The photos are the plants in question.

IMG_030.jpg

IMG_025.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

Thanks again!

Those don't look like Bhut Jolokias to me. It is a Chinense, but looks more like a habanero or habanero cross. Where did you get the seeds?

Wow that is huge. How many pods are on there? Are you in the ground or in a container? If the ground, Did you amend your soil with compost and the like?

Those definitely arent nagas, or bhuts, I am 100% sure of that. Also, Those don't look like red carribean habs to be either, the shape is way off.. Just my opinion but I think it's a Hab cross, it's not a superhot cross. You'll have to try one of those babies when they're ripe. Between the heat and taste you should have a good idea of what genetics it has in it.

btw. NICE freaking plant! :cool:

The seeds came from that New Mexico pepper institute place, they were sold as Naga Jolokia, and an order of Red Savina seeds as well. I guess there was a mix up along the way, I know the habs and what I thought where naga grew close together this year and last, and I don't know how that affects the end result here. But thanks for the insight here are some pics of the Red Savina's, which are ripening now

IMG_032.jpg

IMG_041.jpg

IMG_013-1.jpg

nice pods just the same

but i find that a bit odd for new mex to make such a mistake

although its not impossable

your friend Joe

The seeds came from that New Mexico pepper institute place, they were sold as Naga Jolokia, and an order of Red Savina seeds as well. I guess there was a mix up along the way, I know the habs and what I thought where naga grew close together this year and last, and I don't know how that affects the end result here. But thanks for the insight here are some pics of the Red Savina's, which are ripening now
Did you order your seeds from the official NMSU CPI site? AFAIK, CPI doesn't sell Naga Jolokia (their Bhuts are Bhuts) OR Red Savina......

Back