• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Have you ever thought about this?

I am trying to start my first nagas and everything I have read is getting the tempeture up. Well I have an old incubator with thermostat and fan do ya think I could start my seeds in this anyone ever try or seen this before. Also is it possible to start seeds from a pod that has been dehydrated? :onfire: Thanks and Chillie on Dude

okie joe said:
I am trying to start my first nagas and everything I have read is getting the tempeture up. Well I have an old incubator with thermostat and fan do ya think I could start my seeds in this anyone ever try or seen this before. Also is it possible to start seeds from a pod that has been dehydrated? :onfire: Thanks and Chillie on Dude

An incubator as in hatching chicks incubator? If that is what you mean, that is perfect...all you would need after they sprout is some light. Can't answer the dehydration question but I am sure some of the others could. 86F is what I germinate all my seeds at and they are quite happy.

I think it depends on how it was dehydrated, I've started goji berry seeds from a dehydrated berry before and they all came up but that wasn't put into an actual dehydrator or anything, it was just sun dried.

as for using seeds from chiles that have been dehydrated, you have at best about 1% chance of them growing. I tried that awhile back (not knowing) & buying dried pods from somewhere else you dont know how they dried them, so you take a chance.
if you want to save seeds let the pod ripen fully on the plant & then take all the insides out & leave dry on some paper towels on a plate.

Naturally dried pods are viable, but, if it was artificially dried using excessive heat, the process will kill the seed...also, freeze-drying will kill seed. The incubator seems like it would be ideal to start pepper seeds, provided you can control heat and humidity.:)

The only thing I am worried about is the humidity I can control the heat but the humidity I think I will have problems with maybe to much I going to give it a shot all I can do is grow some nice chillies LOL

chilehunter said:
as for using seeds from chiles that have been dehydrated, you have at best about 1% chance of them growing. I tried that awhile back (not knowing) & buying dried pods from somewhere else you dont know how they dried them, so you take a chance.
if you want to save seeds let the pod ripen fully on the plant & then take all the insides out & leave dry on some paper towels on a plate.

chilihunter, I believe that you are misleading with your info that at best a 1% chance of germination is all you would get. All my seeds are from a dehydrator and in a test this year i would say more around a 95+ % in all my seeds that i tested. I do dehydrate at 105 deg. My Nagas and Bhuts are at 100% germination.

Dale

podpiper - ok I'll agree maybe I was harsh to say 1%. but the last time I tried this I only had a couple seeds sprout, like I said out of about 100 seeds. I also left them in the dirt & just added more seeds to the dirt, still nothing out of 3 types of chiles.

but looking at the temp you dried yours at I see maybe why mine didnt grow :oops: I dried my chiles at 135F/58C :lol: thats what it said on the top of the dehydrator for drying fruits/vegetables, so thats what I did. dumb thing to do I guess.

chilihunter, that is the right thing to do if you just want to dry the pods the hotter the faster at 105 deg. it takes them quite a bit longer but the seeds are good.

Dale

but i think we're all assuming okiejoe didn't dehydrate the pod himself so he doesn't know what temp was used, and lower temps are better tasting but take forever so its likely it was a higher temp. the best way to see is to put a bunch of seeds between wet paper towels so you can count how many sprout.

What I was wondering if I could use the incubator as a seed starter. And yes I picked up the pods and have no idea what the temp was when the person dehydrated them. But its going to show for today I started the experiment of the egg incubator to get something to grow. I got a regular hot bed area for some nagas and some cross peter pepper/ hanoi reds . These guys aren't the hottest but down right tastey. Then in the incubator I got some nags from the pods I bought and some more peter pepper crosses. So cross your chiles the test is on. :onfire: chillie on Dude

I dehydrate peppers closer to 95 degrees - I thought they are herbs/spices rather than veggies. :oops: Must say, doing so brought the heat of a simple Hungarian Hot Wax up trmendously, though maybe that is normal regardless what temp is used.

Mike

I think the incubator is actually a great idea, but i will admit i don't really know much about the specifics of incubators. As long as the temp in there is 75-90 it should be great, and i wouldn't worry about humidity since air's capacity to hold water increases as temperature goes up so relative humidity should be fine in the warmer temps. so say if you're at 75 degrees and you have water condensing then just raise the temp if you can b/c capacity doubles with every 20 degrees so even raising the temp ten degrees is sufficient.

wordwiz said:
I dehydrate peppers closer to 95 degrees - I thought they are herbs/spices rather than veggies. :oops: Must say, doing so brought the heat of a simple Hungarian Hot Wax up trmendously, though maybe that is normal regardless what temp is used.

Mike

i think without the water content the capsinoids seem concentrated? although they would be the same nominal amount.

Let me tell you a secret (just don't tell anyone :lol:).
It's freezing here, seriously.
I'm wearing a damn coat indoors, and I do have heating. it's getting colder and colder each day.
Don't worry, that's not the secret. ;)
The secret is I just sprouted several Naga Morich seeds in 10-days time (for me pretty fast), with nothing more than a computer modem beneath them. :lol:

Ya, it ain't particularly warm here and my worst so far has been chiltepins that took ten days, and i here those are hard to sprout. All i use is the furnace which isn't even constant heat, then they go into a small room that stays warmer then the rest of the house and i don't even measure humidity. growing peppers is not hard to do, and whatcha got sounds better than most.

GrumpyBear @
Have you ever sprouted Nagas before?
I sprouted 10 seeds at first.
Only 3 of them sprouted within 14 days, the rest took a LOT longer.
Those Nagas are hard to sprout.

Canuk Pepperhead @
Google tells me it's a satellite box. Well, I did the same with mine (Only I sprouted Kashmiri).

yeah I edited my post to say it was a sattelite recevier your just too fast to post lol it took me 6 days for my nagas mind you my carrabian red and bents hab still havnt sprouted...im thinking just slower to sprout.

ALL seeds (well besides Naga Morich) have sprouted in less than 10 days. especially Bent's weird cross (took me 3 days).

Back