• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Heat Mats

I've got a bunch of these heat mats that I use for keeping tarantulas warm. These are 4"x5" and have 3 watts of power. They're called Hermit Crab Heat Mats and are made by T. Rex. You can find them on the WWW or you local pet store.

IMG_3682aare.jpg

IMG_3683aare.jpg

I decided to do a bit of jury rigging to see if I could set something up to keep the seeds warm. I ended up using two of these mats. I set the mats on small saucers then placed an aluminum cookie sheet over the top. I had to use the saucers to insure the mats were in contact with the cookie sheet. Set the seed tray on top of the cookie sheet and wallah! Warm and toasty seeds.

IMG_3688re.jpg

I used an instant read digital thermometer and checked temps in various spots. The warmest was 84F directly over a mat with the coolest on the outside edge at 77F

The mats range in sizes and power, from three watts to 20 watts.

Yes Pam, I've got several of them. They're used to keep my soon to be mommy tarantula warm. Do a google of "Hermit Crab Heat Mats" and you'll find 'em.

Good luck!

I went to the drug store and bought a heating pad. It fits perfect under my starter pad and on the low setting it reads 86 f. degrees.$9.99 I couldn't beat it!:lol:
joeknowsjolokia

joeknowsjolokia said:
I went to the drug store and bought a heating pad. It fits perfect under my starter pad and on the low setting it reads 86 f. degrees.$9.99 I couldn't beat it!:lol:
joeknowsjolokia

You're not the only person here who uses regular heating pads, but I'm too much of a Nervous Nellie. I worry about them starting an electrical fire. And I know the seed starting mats could too, but this is not a rational fear, it's an anxiety. So, I stick with seed starting mats.

I use a heater pad from a homebrew shop with a temp controller to run it to maintain my desired temperature. Works great.

dreamboat

Pam said:
You're not the only person here who uses regular heating pads, but I'm too much of a Nervous Nellie. I worry about them starting an electrical fire. And I know the seed starting mats could too, but this is not a rational fear, it's an anxiety. So, I stick with seed starting mats.

I like all the ideas people come up with! I'm learning everyday.;)

I have a Water Bed in my extra Bedroom.....Turn the bed up to 90 degrees and set my Trays on it.....a week later they have all come up. ! ! .....works Great .

slyone1000 said:
I have a Water Bed in my extra Bedroom.....Turn the bed up to 90 degrees and set my Trays on it.....a week later they have all come up. ! ! .....works Great .

If I had a waterbed turned up to 90F, I would never get out of it!
And that's after I fought my way through the cats for space.

I miss my waterbed.

I bought one of those heating pads from the pharmacy for $12 last year. I had it set on medium. It worked out great!
In fact..I just plugged it in a few minutes ago and set my seed trays with jiffy pellets on it. Let the growing begin!!!

ddrsheden said:
I bought one of those heating pads from the pharmacy for $12 last year. I had it set on medium. It worked out great!
In fact..I just plugged it in a few minutes ago and set my seed trays with jiffy pellets on it. Let the growing begin!!!

Thats what I use, a cheap personal heating pad I got from Walmart for 8 bucks.

Back