• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Heat, Radiation, or both?

Wednesday heat index was about a million five.  Toilet busted, bunch of things went wrong, just kind of lost it.  The idea of living my normal life for one more day in that heat was more than I could deal with.  So we went to a hotel for the 4th of July, swam, turned AC way up, had take out.  Acted like we were rich n all but didnt tear out any walls.  Oh, and soaking in super hot bathtub makes the feet and legs hurt a lot less.  Only shower at home.

So get home today, pull toilet, replace wax ring with one of those new spiffy plastic ones, all fixed  Made ice coffee, had a cup, weeded a row.  Not at a fast pace mind you, but I am much more functional today.  Thing is, it is just as hot and the heat index is just as high.  We have all the warnings about staying indoors on the news.  So wondering, what is different?

I can not imagine the heat accumulating in my body.  Over the weekend, I am in the shade but it is hotter than outside cause I work weekends at a coal forge.  Still, on Monday I might be tired but I dont have that feeling you get from being in the sun too long.

Could it be radiation, rather than heat, builds up in your body and makes you sick?

Not radiation. Being in the heat too long causes your core body temperature to elevate to an unsafe level (hyperthermia). Not to be confused with HYPOthermia (a decrease in core body temperature). Your body has the ability to regulate its core temperature either up or down but prolonged exposure is more than the body can keep up with so that's why you need to keep exposure to extreme temperatures to a minimum. Thats why being in the sun too long makes you tired, because your body is working really hard to keep it's core temperature regulated.

Yes. But he did say he hangs around a coal forge on the weekends without the same effect from the heat.

I notice the same thing here during summer. I work 12 hour shifts in a factory that is regularly 10 degrees C hotter than outside, and we often get days that are in the high 40C and sometimes over 50C outside.

I am used to it, it does take it's toll but a day in the sun takes it out of you more, even if the temp isn't as high.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

What Bob said.  Heat is one thing.  The son is something else.  I spend the weekend in the shade, but lots of heat.  I wear down, take a shower, and I feel fine as long as I drank plenty of fluids.  I spend the same time in the sun and the shower doesnt do much to get me back to being right.  That and it seems cumulative, like my body is sucking up something from the sun and has to release it slowly.  OK, maybe I am just nuts.

Back