• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hellfire Farm 2023

field1.jpg

Starting time again, a bit late this year unfortunately! But finally getting going.

This year I'm increasing the variety but decreasing the quantities - had to throw out too many last year because I couldn't process everything quickly enough. On the other hand, I have a much better drying setup this year so hopefully that will help.

This year's plan:
  • Dragon's Breath (100)
  • Carolina Reaper (200)
  • Yellow Reaper (100)
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (60)
  • Bhut Jolokia (200)
  • Habanero (200)
  • Habanada (150)
  • Bhutia Bubblegum Chocolate (10)
  • White Ghost (10)
  • Bonuga Moruga Scorpion (10)
  • Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet (30)
  • Fiesta (Rainbow) blend Cayenne (100)
  • Fooled You Jalapeno (12)
  • Grande Jalapeno (30)
  • Anaheim Sahuaro (100)
  • Big Jim (50)
  • Poblano Trident (30)
  • Ancho Gigante (30)
  • Serrano Tampiqueno (20)
  • Devil Serrano (20)
  • Serrano (plain ol') (100)
  • Chiltepin (30)
  • Tepin x Lemon Drop (15)
  • Sugar Rush Stripey (10)
  • Sugar Rush Cream (10)
And a couple varieties of Bell Pepper.

That's a bit over 1600 total...

First step is Potassium Nitrate pre-soak for the superhots (and nada). I did some more reading on this and found studies showing that the concentration + soak time all make a difference (and quantifying those) so settled on 20g/l for 2-3 hours instead of my previous overnight.

Presoak:
presoak.jpg

Getting the starter trays ready while they soak.

First step is Potassium Nitrate pre-soak for the superhots (and nada). I did some more reading on this and found studies showing that the concentration + soak time all make a difference (and quantifying those) so settled on 20g/l for 2-3 hours instead of my previous overnight.

Presoak:
presoak.jpg

Getting the starter trays ready while they soak.
Do you find soaking in Potassium Nitrate to be better than Peroxide?

Super-hots (mainly chinenses) started.

20230108_184723.jpg

Gotta get that power strip covered before it gets watered!

I like this site better than last year's because it's in a south-facing window, so I'll get some natural daylight and the lights are more of a supplement now.

But I realized as I was hooking everything up that it's a 15-amp circuit. The previous one was 20-amp. Fortunately this isn't too far from the breaker box so I'll just run another circuit - probably take over the breaker for the previous since it won't be used anymore.

Starting the rest of them end of month.

Last year the first sprouts took a week, most took more. 5 days is really fast for these.

Errands today, maybe there will be an update later.

That list of plants still blows my mind! 😳

Best of luck this year! :metal:

Do you sell (and ship) boxes of pods at the end of the season?

Back