Hello! Any advice on starting legally in CA?

Hey everyone! I'm new here but have already been reading a lot on these forums as we start up a small company in California.

If anyone has any advice on legally selling in California I could definitely use the help! Especially when it comes to HACCP approval and licenses - with everything going on in the country right now it's definitely not the easiest time to get a hold of authorities at the State or even at the Universities.

A little background. We are looking at running an extremely small business (maybe 1 - 2k bottles per year) making our sauces in a rented kitchen. Right now we are considering selling as a refrigerated product to avoid the acidified food laws (more specifically the expensive tests for every recipe). Has anyone had any experience going that route / would it even change the license requirements?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and thanks for all of the help I've already received just reading on The Hot Pepper!

mike14 said:
Hey everyone! I'm new here but have already been reading a lot on these forums as we start up a small company in California.

If anyone has any advice on legally selling in California I could definitely use the help! Especially when it comes to HACCP approval and licenses - with everything going on in the country right now it's definitely not the easiest time to get a hold of authorities at the State or even at the Universities.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and thanks for all of the help I've already received just reading on The Hot Pepper!

I'm on the east coast so no personal help. I'm sure you've seen _How to Develop a HACCP Plan for California?

aL9Y2v0.jpg

:welcome: from the Pacific NorthWest, Mike.

Good luck with your saucing venture!

Back