Hello from KC!

Hey all. Once I found this forum, I got all excited.

3 years ago, my mom got a jalapeno plant from grandpa. He likes things hot. He swears up and down it was a jalapeno plant. It was hotter than hell. So dad saved some seeds and last year grew some more. They were still way hotter than regular jalapeno. We saved seeds again and this year I grew some; dad's plants all died and he didn't have any more seeds. Well this year, the things are still hotter than ever and I've been saving seeds like crazy. That's what started it all.

This year we grew the hot jalapeno, known now as Vicki Bad Ass or VBA, a store bought jalepeno, a poblano, and serrano plant. VBAs were way hot and lots of fun. Store bought jalepeno was okay...a filler. Poblanos were small, but packed with flavor and good heat. Serranos were a great dissappointment! I could eat them right off the plant, seeds and all...about as hot as a medium-mild jalepeno.

This year dad had store bought jalapeno, habenero, banana peppers, and the chinese peppers they put in chinese food. He made hot sauce with the habeneros and also habenero dust for sprinkling. Also made dust with the chinese peppers. They pickled the banana peppers and they make a good snack!

I'm already planning next year's plants. At least 4 VBAs will make it to the garden. I've saved seeds from grocery poblanos that had good flavor and heat...so at least 2 of them. Similar to the poblanos, I've got some grocery anaheim...probably will go for 2 of them. Will do a banana pepper. Probably one of those chinese pepper plants. I saw at an online seed store, there was one in the shape of a crown...will probably get some seeds for that.

I can tell this site will be a good read. Lots of good information from what I've seen already.

Howdy from Texas, by way of Ohio! :welcome:

Check out the Throwdown thread - we'd love to see an entry from you in October!

G

Back