Hello from NC!

Hi all! I don't know much about hot peppers but I love growing them. We always had a garden growing up and my dad always had rows and rows of hot pepper plants - chilies, jalapeños, hot bananas, and various other varieties. I've always been too chicken to eat anything but jalapeños. This year I have Dragon Cayennes, New Mexico Big Jims, Cowhorns, Caribbean Hot Peppers (which I learned last night are Scotch Bonnets and way too hot for me to even think about tasting!), Cherry Hots, and a Poblano plant (which had a rough start thanks to a curious deer...It still doesn't have any flowers :(). When this season is over, I want to try my hand at indoor growing so I can continue to get peppers through the winter (that's how I found this forum - Google!). I think I'll have better luck inside...We're plagued with a deer who finds the leaves of my pepper plants (and beans, and tomatoes, and cucumber) delicious. She ate all but one leaf off my Giant Marconi plants before we got the deer netting up. Anyway, hello! I'm excited to be here and browse through all the interesting threads :)

Welcome from Romania!
Don't worry, you are not the only chicken here. And even those who are not-so-chicken, prefer to be chicken sometime (like me). Well, I want to say, I also like to eat jalapenos, poblanos, amd other candies like these, in fact I am digging now to find a trinidad perfume.
So, chicken or not, welcome!

Edit: I see in your profile you wrote at favorite hot sauce "none (too vinegary)" - they are not all vinegary, you can do a search for "salsa verde", no vinegar at all (at least you can do it without vinegar), I like it much, since I ate this I grow tomatillos in my garden, just for this salsa verde. You can vary the chile used for it, can use jalapenos, habaneros, etc.

rghm1u20 said:
Welcome from Romania!
Don't worry, you are not the only chicken here. And even those who are not-so-chicken, prefer to be chicken sometime (like me). Well, I want to say, I also like to eat jalapenos, poblanos, amd other candies like these, in fact I am digging now to find a trinidad perfume.
So, chicken or not, welcome!

Edit: I see in your profile you wrote at favorite hot sauce "none (too vinegary)" - they are not all vinegary, you can do a search for "salsa verde", no vinegar at all (at least you can do it without vinegar), I like it much, since I ate this I grow tomatillos in my garden, just for this salsa verde. You can vary the chile used for it, can use jalapenos, habaneros, etc.

I'll have to look into that one! I'd love to have a hot sauce to put on stuff, but all the ones I've ever  tried (store bought - never occurred to me to make my own  :rolleyes:) have all had a predominantly vinegar taste. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Roo said:

... a hot sauce to put on stuff...
You have to pay attention on how thick you make it, if you want to put ON stuff.
I know food is a matter of taste, but I like the salsa verde, even refrigerate tomatillos to make some over winter too.

welcome from Slovenia!

about the sauce ... a few last batches of sauce I made I combined homemade apple vinegar with lemon juice .. and it tastes so much better .. none of that vinegary smell like standard tabasco has

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Back