Hello from PepperJo of Pepper Joe's

Shorerider said:
Welcome to THP PepperJo.   :welcome:

I had never ordered seed from the old PepperJoe but I do know of his bad reputation, it's well known here on THP. We all hope that you can turn this around which I think is easily achievable. 

Like Juanitos has already pointed out, once you have pods set, it's only then you realize that you didn't get what you paid for. The price of the seeds is only a tiny portion of the disappointment here, it's the time spent germinating, raising, potting, planting, and feeding only to find out that what you have, is not what you ordered. Months of hard work down the drain, worst of all, it's always too late to start again because you're too far into the growing season already.

The only thing that your customers could possibly ask for is to get what they pay for. And if for some unknown reason a mistake is made, that you as the seller do your best to rectify the situation. 

I wish you and your husband all the very best in your new endeavor, I'm sure you will do well in the future. 

Best of luck, 

SR.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments, Shorerider.   You're right.  

We will indeed do our best to rectify problems as quickly as possible.  I totally understand that new seeds are an insufficient replacement for the effort expended, and am sorry about that.  The good news from our recent 2015 season is that the number of "issues" seems to have diminished, particularly on a percentage basis versus how many thousands we sell.  

We can absolutely get better and we hope you give me/us feedback along the way.  A DM is always welcome if you're not comfortable with public posts.  Thank you very much for your open approach to us.  We appreciate it.  

jsschrstrcks said:
PJs does have a checkered past here on THP. I have personally bought seeds, was disappointed, and (kudos to PJ) he replaced them. The replacement seeds were no better, and I said lesson learned, and bought elsewhere :P

In the midst of all that, he asked me to be a grower for him, and I got to sit in on some of the growers meetings until I made my decision (well a meeting). I asked specifically about isolation, and what I was told circa 2012 was that all he asked was a row of peppers, separated by a row of tomatos. My experiences made sense at that point.

I've always felt like PJ's asked premium prices - which is fine when receiving a premium product. But what I would get from him was decidedly not always premium.

Judy, or midwestchiliheads are less expensive, and I've had better experiences there.

I'm happy you guys are under new ownership. I'll be looking forward to seeing the new website, and making a purchase from you guys. I hope your business flourishes and that you guys are wildly successful.
Hi jsschrstrcks.  Definitely insightful comments.  So interesting that your experience aligns with the 2012 issues that I've seen!  (see above).  We will do our best to make sure that is a historical  anomaly.

Really really appreciative of your welcoming approach.  I will be very thankful to see your order.  It does feel good to be join such a nice community.  

Take care, 
PepperJo

Welcome!  I am glad you are taking ownership of the business, and addressing its faults.  Straight shooting will get you a long way in this community from my experience around here.

Out of curiosity, what type of background do you have?  Farming or just a good home gardener?

My biggest comment/advise...  When I started this whole pepper thing, pepperjoes was the first site I visited to look at seeds.  I did not know about the bad reputation at this time.  I chose to go to cross country nurseries aka chiliplants.com because the price and selection was much better.  I also felt that the vibe of the pepperjoes website was that of walking into a used car dealership.  Now that I have been around the community for a year, there is no way I would even think about paying the prices that the old pepperjoes used.  I think I speak for most of us here on that.  Pepperlover, which is one of, if not the most highly respected seed businesses here sells most seeds for between $2-$5, and gives between 20-30 in each pack.

Depends on who you rely on for your customers I guess.  The current setup and prices are probably aimed at brand new people to the hobby.  Again, I doubt many people who are knowledgeable on various pepper forums and groups will pay much attention though in the end.

Hopefully you do not take this as too harsh.  It is not intended to be that.  I am just trying to be real, because I would love to have another store that really benefits this community!

Scuba_Steve said:
Welcome!  I am glad you are taking ownership of the business, and addressing its faults.  Straight shooting will get you a long way in this community from my experience around here.

Out of curiosity, what type of background do you have?  Farming or just a good home gardener?

My biggest comment/advise...  When I started this whole pepper thing, pepperjoes was the first site I visited to look at seeds.  I did not know about the bad reputation at this time.  I chose to go to cross country nurseries aka chiliplants.com because the price and selection was much better.  I also felt that the vibe of the pepperjoes website was that of walking into a used car dealership.  Now that I have been around the community for a year, there is no way I would even think about paying the prices that the old pepperjoes used.  I think I speak for most of us here on that.  Pepperlover, which is one of, if not the most highly respected seed businesses here sells most seeds for between $2-$5, and gives between 20-30 in each pack.

Depends on who you rely on for your customers I guess.  The current setup and prices are probably aimed at brand new people to the hobby.  Again, I doubt many people who are knowledgeable on various pepper forums and groups will pay much attention though in the end.

Hopefully you do not take this as too harsh.  It is not intended to be that.  I am just trying to be real, because I would love to have another store that really benefits this community!
Hi Scuba-steve, 
Thanks for chiming in with your candid comments. 

If you think about the big picture of growing hot peppers and where Pepper Joe's fits in, attracting new growers provides a service to the more experienced folks here at THP.  If we are attracting the new growers and getting them started on their pepper growing journey, eventually they are likely to be buyers of the sauces, seeds, and powders that many @ THP offer.  That's a pretty helpful role in the hot pepper ecosystem.  I do think our store benefits the community, as you say.  

To answer your question about me, I have stronger bonafides as a business person than an extreme pepper grower (yet!).  I especially like business categories like this that are primed for growth, and where there are many entrepreneurs ready and passionate.  

Please don't hesitate to message me directly if you have more thoughts on this topic.  

Take care, 
PepperJo

chiltepin said:
Welcome Laura Jo.  My suggestion is to change the name of your business to something like ... Google Peppers.  hahaha.  Just kidding.   Sounds like you have a good plan going forward.  Good luck to you and your husband on the new venture!

Jim
Funny!  Thanks for the good wishes! 

:welcome:

As others have said, having more good, reliable seed vendors can only be a good thing. I look forward to seeing you and your husband turn Pepper Joe's around. Best of luck to you!  :)

yeah i only had one experience with the old pepper joe... i ordered red savinas, datil, and he gave me a free packet of birds eyes... out of all the seeds only 3 germinated... i emailed him, explaining the issue i had, he sent me new seeds... none of those worked... from that point on i was turned off from pepper joe... i ordered some this past weekend from tomato supply, and puckerbutt (before i found out all the controversy with ed)  i understand you need to make a profit off your work, but i would also think about either lowering the price or increase the number of seeds you get... i mean 10 bucks for 10-12 seeds... thats a little steep... BUT i hope you can turn it around.  did you buy pennys tomatoes or just the pepper name?

:welcome: and best of luck! I'm sure the community will treat you as a new company and give you the chance you deserve to prove your name. Wishing you the best, and welcome to Extreme Biz, next year we hope to add some more benefits for companies to reap. :)

Hi Laura.
Welcome and i wish you a lot of success.

Just to share with you my experience with Pepperjoe. I do not keep it against you or the newfound company.
in December 2014 I bought Peppers for 2015 season. My first time as a pepper grower. It takes months to find out if one have the right product, and as a first time grower it was rather disappointing. After growing them i found that all my Ghost peppers turned out to be Red Habaneros or something. The Butch T I ordered looks like an F1 crossing . i think 1 in 20 fruits resemble a Butch T. Heat is average.
I tried to contact PepperJoe on Messenger but as soon as he saw the images i send him, he ignored me. I never asked for replacements or refund. I only asked if they could have been making a mistake.
i am saying this to give you a background of my experience with PepperJoe. as i said i do not keep this against you. It is great to have people in the trade who can deliver on their promises. i am maybe 1 in a 1000 that might had a problem. So don't let my complain bother you. I have read more plenty of positive reviews on PepperJoe so keep up the good work. I love the way you came out and introduce yourself.

10400905_114731038902405_6532544107810889570_n.jpg

886993_114731142235728_9150256936130044080_o.jpg

Martino said:
Hi Laura.
Welcome and i wish you a lot of success.

Just to share with you my experience with Pepperjoe. I do not keep it against you or the newfound company.
in December 2014 I bought Peppers for 2015 season. My first time as a pepper grower. It takes months to find out if one have the right product, and as a first time grower it was rather disappointing. After growing them i found that all my Ghost peppers turned out to be Red Habaneros or something. The Butch T I ordered looks like an F1 crossing . i think 1 in 20 fruits resemble a Butch T. Heat is average.
I tried to contact PepperJoe on Messenger but as soon as he saw the images i send him, he ignored me. I never asked for replacements or refund. I only asked if they could have been making a mistake.
i am saying this to give you a background of my experience with PepperJoe. as i said i do not keep this against you. It is great to have people in the trade who can deliver on their promises. i am maybe 1 in a 1000 that might had a problem. So don't let my complain bother you. I have read more plenty of positive reviews on PepperJoe so keep up the good work. I love the way you came out and introduce yourself.
Hi Martino, 
Ouch.  I'm really sorry about your experience.   That is a situation we should have rectified quickly.  I'm so sorry.  I will message you directly to get your current address to send replacements of your choice.  Thank you for your upbeat response and positive attitude, BTW.  
Take care, 
Pepperjo

rebman2005 said:
yeah i only had one experience with the old pepper joe... i ordered red savinas, datil, and he gave me a free packet of birds eyes... out of all the seeds only 3 germinated... i emailed him, explaining the issue i had, he sent me new seeds... none of those worked... from that point on i was turned off from pepper joe... i ordered some this past weekend from tomato supply, and puckerbutt (before i found out all the controversy with ed)  i understand you need to make a profit off your work, but i would also think about either lowering the price or increase the number of seeds you get... i mean 10 bucks for 10-12 seeds... thats a little steep... BUT i hope you can turn it around.  did you buy pennys tomatoes or just the pepper name?
Hi Rebman2005, thanks for chiming in.  We're looking at everything, including pricing.  We only bought Pepper Joe's not Penny's Tomatoes.  Pepper Joe's had tomatoes before Penny started her business, and we will continue to have a few interesting tomatoes every year.  I'll message you directly, too, as it sounds like we still owe you some seeds.  

Take care and than you for the welcome! 
PepperJo

The Hot Pepper said:
:welcome: and best of luck! I'm sure the community will treat you as a new company and give you the chance you deserve to prove your name. Wishing you the best, and welcome to Extreme Biz, next year we hope to add some more benefits for companies to reap. :)
Great!  Thank you for the "official" welcome, THP.  I look forward to hearing more about your plans!    Please message me directly if there is anything I need to be doing better/differently as a new member.  
-- PepperJo

Back