Hello from Southwest Georgia

Hello from southwest Georgia.  My name is Dave.  I am new to the forum (first visit) and relatively new to growing hot peppers. 

I started container gardening last year with some hops (I'm also a home brewer).  This year I started a container garden AND a small plot at the local community garden.  I planted some cayenne peppers and habaneros (among other things).  The cayenne plants didn't produce much at all... but the habaneros did really well.  I got so excited with the habs that I ordered some seeds to grow the really hot stuff.  Received my bhut jolokia, naga viper, and trinidad scorpion seeds yesterday.

I realize its too late in the season to grow them this year.  We have a pretty long growing season around here, so I may try a few things and keep them indoors if necessary.  But I'm looking forward to growing my habaneros, and these other varieties, next year.  Definitely open to tips and advice and looking forward to learning more about pepper growing here.

Welcome Dave. You are in good hands here.

We participate in our community garden as well.
It is a great option for all...

Regards, Chris

Thanks for the quick replies.  Here are a few shots of my container garden and my community garden plot.  Doesn't show the jalapenos (they are potted on the front porch).  But you can see the habs and cayennes.  And the hops.  The hops are my real babies at the moment, though sadly they didn't produce much this year.

Here's my container garden at home.  This was taken last week, while cleaning up the yard after returning from 3 weeks of business travel and vacation.  Not in the best condition... but I used a watering timer and a neighbor had been picking for me to keep anything from going to waste. 
From left to right: blackberries, hops (Willamette), habaneros, spearmint, more hops (cascade), and some first-year hops (centennial and nugget) on the far right.

1004001_10151766820914252_1810988698_n.jpg

Close-up of some habaneros I recently harvested.  Not ripe enough?  Too ripe?  I have no idea, but they made a great pepper sauce for some chicken shortly after this picture was taken.
1000392_10151766822124252_485484031_n.jpg

Here are my cayenne plants in the community garden.  Leggy, spindly little things.  I think they produced one or two peppers while I was out of town, which a friend picked and ate.  Since then, I've only seen these two... and they are taking FOREVER to turn red.  The community garden is 100% organic so I use a bit of compost tea now and then, and some neem oil.  Otherwise these are basically in mother nature's hands.  And apparently mother nature prefers cherry tomatoes over peppers.

1002987_10151782818869252_450237874_n.jpg

GnomeGrown said:
:welcome: from South Carolina.

You are in the right place.

Loads of talented growers around here.

:dance:

Thanks!  I'm originally from Gaffney SC, and went to school at Clemson.  :)

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Everything is looking great! Cayennes take forever to ripen. Habaneros look good. To me a pepper is only too ripe when it starts to rot.

Welcome to THP.                            From St. Aug.

The+Fresh+Prince.jpg

Back