Hello from Sunny Scotland

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL
880smile-1.png

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

There are a few others here from the UK.

Hi, I'm from London, having my first go growing chillies, and got a bit carried away with it, and growing 16 varieties this year.

I'm interested to know how it will go, trying to overcome the obvious shortfall in ideal weather compared to our American friends, I imagine that to be even harder up in Scotland?

How are you getting on, or rather have you sown yet?

Belated :welcome: from the PacificNorthWest, USA!
Also not an ideal grow climate, but we make do.

Hi, I'm from London, having my first go growing chillies, and got a bit carried away with it, and growing 16 varieties this year.

I'm interested to know how it will go, trying to overcome the obvious shortfall in ideal weather compared to our American friends, I imagine that to be even harder up in Scotland?

How are you getting on, or rather have you sown yet?

Hi Jonny.

I'm living in south Germany now where it's much easier to grow chillies outside. But I'd say that in Scotland it's essential to grow them under glass if you're growing them outside. I did try growing a Naga Jolokia in my last year in Scotland although I didn't get any chillies that year because I emmigrated half way through the season and had to give them all away. The Naga Jolokia just wasn't growing much at all and I've since heard that Capsicum Chinense might not do very well in colder climates. The neighbour's tree was blocking out a lot of light to my greenhouse though.

Last year, outside on my balcony in Bavaria I grew Peter Peppers (Capisicum Annum) and some chocolate Habaneros (Capisicum Chinense) and the Peter Peppers did very well but the Chocolate Habaneros not so well. Although since bringing them indoors over winter and giving them plenty of heat they have started to produce more. I think the main problem was that I left them standing in water too long outside, which can be a problem in the UK if grown in pots outside. In 2008 I grew some massive Italien tomatoes outside in pots in the south east of England and the constant rain made them rot before the tomatoes could ripen.

I'll be growing loads of chillies outside in the north of Germany this year and this has a very similar climate to the south of England. I've gone completely overboard on the varieties this year as well. All Capsicum Chinense except for the Aji Limon which is Capsicum Baccatum apparently. It'll me by my first time growing one of those. Maybe I should have chosen different varieties but I wanted to try growing hot chillies this year,

Back