• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help!!!!! Flower and pepper drop

HELP!!!!!!!!!
This is a Habanero plant i got from B&Q a big DIY chain store about 4 weeks ago it is now about 178mm or 17.8cm or 7" tall and at its widest point branch to Branch its 153mm or 15.3cm or 6" it was in a pot far to small for it when i purchased it.
I re-potted it as soon as i got it home flowers soon started to appear but they would open then drop off or just drop off the stem of the flower or bud does turn a sort of yellowish colour before the drop to the point that you can look at the plant and tell which one will drop.
Then success one took and a habanero started to grow about a week and a half ago all going great apart from this was the only habanero growing then today disaster doing the rounds of the plants to pollenate as they are isolated from natural pollenation and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the hab has dropped off its about the size of a 5 pence piece or a american or canadian dime / 10 cent piece.
I am usining 10ml to 2000ml mix of chilli focus to water once a week and water when needed the pot it was in was 180mm or 18cm or 7 1/8".
I say was because now it has drop the only fruit i have re-potted it into a 270mm or 27cm or 10 5/8" this is a 10 litre tub. i don't know what else to do.
Please, Please, Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100_0678.jpg

100_0680.jpg

pictures of the re-potted plant and the pepper

Pepper flowers don't need to be pollinated they are self pollinating its called some thing i can't remember the correct term its like perfect something or other. but regardless you shouldn't have to pollinate your flowers to sprout pods unless you are trying to make a cross breed for next year. i think pretty much all pepper plants have some sort of flower drop ratio to healthy pod producing flowers. i'd say just give it a chance and keep feeding and watering it and give it plenty of sun and hopefully you will get more pods from it.

+1 @ wolfwood2186. The plant looks pretty young & prolly needs some time to re-acclimate to its new growth- media

on my plants i noticed that the first few flowers dropped then they started to set pods and a couple plants are at their capacity and all the new floewrs are dropping but all the pods are getting bigger, so i assume once they ripen the plant will take off with new growth! plant looks healthy!

Eric

from your pictures you seem to be using 100% perlite (expanded glass)
as a growing medium (i.e. soil less)

please give description of grow

maybe you have a nutrient issue?
what is your temperature range at this grow location?
what is your air circulation strategy at this grow?

"as they are isolated from natural"

please provide details of all artificial conditions?

you need to provide: root support, food , warmth, air, and light or they won't give chilis (and neither would you)

thanks guys
got a ceiling fan to circulate air the perlite is only to cover the soil like putting stones it on top of a breathable mesh and this is only been done today as such a large pot with such a large surface area. The soil underneath is a potting mix and compost soil mix with 50/50 mix of perlite and Vermiculiteat a 5 soil to 1 perlite/vermiculite mix with great drainage.
temp is between 26c and 30c and sun light for about 14 hours a day now as the days are drawing in.
I have got some 30 other plants with the same soil mix with no problems and five have the same perlite cover as surface aera is so large on them too.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Im gonna go ahead and say it...willard hit the head on the nail with reason number 11! ....

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Back