• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Help identifying my "Carolina Reaper" peppers...

Hello, Got some "Carolina Reaper" seeds of Ebay a while back, and started growing them.
They grew like Reapers, took a couple of weeks to germinate then grew very slowly, and are now (eventually) producing peppers. However, this is my first try growing Reapers, so no expert.
It occurred to me the other day that the actual peppers don't really look like reapers? I mean they are the right shape, but the texture is not quite right, bit smooth? I have heard a lot that ebay is NOT a reliable place to get genuine seeds, so perhaps someone can identify these peppers:

Plant1.JPG
Plant2.jpg

And a close up of a pepper:
Chilli1.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures, taken on a not great phone camera...

Thanks...

OK, having looked at Downriver's link i agree, they do look very similar...
Thanks for the opinions. Anyone else feel free to share your opinion :halo:

I think i will buy some reaper seeds from a more reliable seller, then see what happens...

Hello,
They are very hot, chomping one (even a small one) is painful, however i have not eaten a reaper so cannot really compare...
The taste is hard to detect because of the heat, but maybe that is just me... I will try another one, and try figure out the taste...

;)

It could be anything: Habanero, 7 Pot or some unknown cross. Try to stay away from eBay, Amazon and other shady stores for your next seed purchase!

Sounds like good advice to me, i have just harvested some of the peppers, and am now attempting to dry them.
Think i will order some Reaper seeds from a proper & reliable company and see how they turn out...

(Any recommendations for company's that sell reasonably priced reapers that are genuine? Preferably a UK company or someone with low cost overseas shipping, I don't want to pay £5 for seeds then £40 for shipping... :crazy:

Thanks All.

I don't have firsthand experience with any UK seed companies, but I have had great results so far with seeds from Whitehotpeppers and Hippy Seed Company. And I believe they both ship internationally. Also, be aware that Hippy Seed Company's prices are in Australian dollars, so they are not really as pricey as they might seem at first glance. Semillas La Palma has a good reputation, and is a bit closer to the UK than the other two (Canary Islands). All three vendors have Reaper seeds in stock right now.

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for suggesting those company's, from looking at their websites, they all look promising...

Also, update, i successfully dried some of my peppers (low heat in the oven overnight), and crushed them to small flakes, and at this point they are so hot you really cannot detect any flavor. ;) You can put a tiny amount on your food, not really enough to taste, and it will still be very spicy.

Thanks again,

Sounds like good advice to me, i have just harvested some of the peppers, and am now attempting to dry them.
Think i will order some Reaper seeds from a proper & reliable company and see how they turn out...

(Any recommendations for company's that sell reasonably priced reapers that are genuine? Preferably a UK company or someone with low cost overseas shipping, I don't want to pay £5 for seeds then £40 for shipping... :crazy:

Thanks All.
I'm in the UK and bought mine from South Devon Chilli Farm. I think it was about a fiver for a packet of 20 seeds, plus a couple of quid delivery. I planted half last year and half this year and although a good few of them germinated, quite a few seedlings didn't make it. I've got five plants out of the 20 seeds.

Hello, Got some "Carolina Reaper" seeds of Ebay a while back, and started growing them.
They grew like Reapers, took a couple of weeks to germinate then grew very slowly, and are now (eventually) producing peppers. However, this is my first try growing Reapers, so no expert.
It occurred to me the other day that the actual peppers don't really look like reapers? I mean they are the right shape, but the texture is not quite right, bit smooth? I have heard a lot that ebay is NOT a reliable place to get genuine seeds, so perhaps someone can identify these peppers:

Plant1.JPG
Plant2.jpg

And a close up of a pepper:
Chilli1.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures, taken on a not great phone camera...

Thanks...
They look like Scotch Bonnets to me! 😁

Back