• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health help me figure out what's wrong with my orange habs

Ajarn V thanks for the link lots of good information. Had the same problem a couple of years back sprayed everything in the garden with neem and soap every other day for two weeks went away. no more problems.

Major addition to my previous post about this being sun scald. The coop extension people emailed a set of detailed pics of one of my pods to the Univ of Georgia and to Virginia Tech for analysis, and those two set of folks agreed: stink bugs. Which I haven't seen this summer but were at epidemic levels of infestation last year and over the winter here in Virginia. Interesting.
Their stink bug answer must have been from studying your second pic of the pod with a hole and not the first pic.

Here in Gainesville, not far from Fairfax, we've had major stink bug overpopulation the last few years. I've literally cleared hundreds of those little buggers from my house. While I haven't seen damage similar to yours this year, I saw a bunch of it last year. Never thought it was stink bugs, but they were around my plants last year and I've seen a few this year too. I chase them when I see them. So far, my two orange hab plants look fine, but I've only picked one ripe pod so far this year, and it was very hot and tasty.

I think you all are bringing up interesting points....(sun scald or pests)

However, the questions I have are....

How are you watering? Do you water the plant from the bottom (i.e. a hose on the ground or a drip line) or do you shower the plants? I am not an expert grower but I have seen these types of holes when people shower the plant and it has fruit (peppers) set....could be a combination of critters, excessive heat, and moisture on the fruit....but one of the factors when I have seen this before is someone sprays the plants during the day when it is hot and they garden organically....what makes the nice little hole? Like I said, could be a combination of factors but I thought I would throw my 1/50 of a dollar in this conversation.

TJR

Back