• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help me Figure out why my Superhots look so Sick

My superhots look sick to me and I haven't been able to figure out why. The looked great when I got them but got hit a bit by a cold spell, a few leaves froze but overall the plant stayed alive. They now have this yellow color and aren't really growing much. We have had a lot of overcast and not much sun with wild temperature swings. Soil is miracle grown potting soil (has fertilizer in it which scares me a bit) with a bit of garden soil on top. Buckets are 5 Gallon with holes drilled in them to let the water drain. Bottom leaves are yellowing and stock is a bit yellow. Plants have been in buckets since about March 5th. The brown spots in the first picture are where they froze. I've seen no pests on or near the plants.

My Annums in the garden beds are doing better (They have put on more leaves after the rabbit stripped them clean).
photo_zps2f526403.jpg

photo_zps28fa2263.jpg

Plants when I got them.
super_hots_zps979e49ad.jpeg

Is the sandy soil your garden soil ? Because it looks very sandy and poor. The pale leaves look like they lack of nitrogen and the yellow burning on the border of the leaves look like a potassium deficiency.

Don't worry about the fert in the soil you bought, a plant looks over-green when they have too much N, and it seems to be the inverse.

Edit : ok so Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix is 0.21 - 0.07 - 0.14 ... you can go on with fert. To give you an idea I put a 8-2-6 fert in a 3-3-5 soil and my peppers love it.

Is the sandy soil your garden soil ? Because it looks very sandy and poor. The pale leaves look like they lack of nitrogen and the yellow burning on the border of the leaves look like a potassium deficiency.

Don't worry about the fert in the soil you bought, a plant looks over-green when they have too much N, and it seems to be the inverse.

Yes, I believe that's the garden soil but things seem to be thriving in it. It looks extra sandy because most of the other content washed further into the containers so I'm not sure it's too sandy but could be.

The looked great when I got them but got hit a bit by a cold spell, a few leaves froze but overall the plant stayed alive. They now have this yellow color and aren't really growing much. We have had a lot of overcast and not much sun with wild temperature swings
I think I see your problem.

Without warmth and sun I wouldn't expect plants to do much growing at all.

My bucketed plants are still looking very sick to me.  They are doing a little better but overall still don't look right.  I've included some pics but they aren't the best.  I did have Aphids for a while but not on the plant with the ugliest leaves.  I live in an area with a lot of lime naturally and the lake is built in what I believe is an old lime quarry so I'm guessing it has a lot of calcium.  My plants started having really ugly leaves but a few have gotten better.  Any thoughts?  I'll get better pictures with a real camera later.  

The leaves also never get very big on the plants with the exception of the tallest plant with the super deformed leaves.  New growth seems a little more normal.  

Back