• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help me- what happened?

Stumbled upon some useful info about this today researching another problem for someone:

"Potassium - Too much sodium (Na) displaces K, causing a K deficiency. Sources of high salinity are: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate "pH-up"), too much manure, and the use of water-softening filters (which should not be used). If the problem is Na, flush the soil. K can get locked up from too much Ca or ammonium nitrogen, and possibly cold weather."

page is about pot, but that wouldn't be a plant-specific problem.
http://tinyurl.com/ktr4p

Hinky,

I'm in no way, shape or form a hydro expert or even a semi-one. Only been doing it for about a year. But from what you say about your regimen, and my experiences using baking soda, my guess is that something else is to blame, perhaps something as simple as the plant's genes said it was time to die. Or that you really overdid the baking soda.

Did you check the pH of the water after the plant died or while it was turning brown? Was it within the norms?

I feel for you - that was a great looking plant.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Hinky,

I'm in no way, shape or form a hydro expert or even a semi-one. Only been doing it for about a year. But from what you say about your regimen, and my experiences using baking soda, my guess is that something else is to blame, perhaps something as simple as the plant's genes said it was time to die. Or that you really overdid the baking soda.

Did you check the pH of the water after the plant died or while it was turning brown? Was it within the norms?

I feel for you - that was a great looking plant.

Mike

Mike-
I was so worked up I didn't even think to check the pH before I tossed the crap out (and NOT on the lawn!). Of course I'm still not sure what caused it- I do like your theory RE:plant internal clock pulling it's own plug, at least as a causal factor, since the plant was getting up in age. I do still believe that the Baking Soda was the main reason for it punching out, though.

I'd be curious to hear if you're actually using Baking Soda- not that you're going to change my mind and get me to use it anywhere but the kitchen again, though :)

Back