• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help please. 7 pot Chocolate aka Douglah?

Hey gang. Is anyone able to trade for or Part with a few precious Chocolate 7pot seeds? Please look at my list and see if there is something you like. Of course I'm also willing to send a SASBE.

Thanks,

Bill

The douglah is a specific chocolate/brown 7 pod, not just a different name or "aka". Is it douglahs you are looking for, or other chocolate 7 pods?

Hey Potawie,
Thanks for replying, That's a good question. I'm new to growing these guys and thoroughly confused. I have no idea which one I want. I think I probably want both so I I can grow them out and decide for myself which one I like best. I definately want to try to and get a hold of a few of the "7 Pot Chocolate" that Jim Duffy sent to the CPI for the recent study as It looks to be the most consistent in SHUs.

Somebody named them that although it doesn't really make any sense since the word douglah has to do with the color

ok thanks potawie...

but if i grow a "red douglah" what do i expect to have? a 7 pot red or something else?

everybody wants to give a name to their pepper...

can some one help me distinguish:
a Billyboy 7 pot
a wayright 7 pot
a wayright morouga blend
a morouga blend
and so on...

A lot of them are just hybrids or specific characteristics that a certain grower distinguished and put their name on it. The Douglah is a specific Brown 7 pot, but there are also the 7 Pot Brown and 7 Pot Chocolate varieties lingering around. They're all different in their own ways but have a lot of similarities. The Red Douglah is a plant that Judy aka pepperlover grew out I believe. It was a Douglah that grew out red instead of brown, so she took the seeds and sells them as the Red Douglah. I believe they are an F1 hybrid or possibly a color mutation from lingering instability. The Douglah itself is very likely a 7 Pot hybrid.

Don't call it a red 7 pot, that would just add to the confusion. In the past, chileheads would label this a "not douglah" or something similar. Douglah is not a hybrid, it is stable and true breeding. I believe it was developed by CARDI

The person's name is the seed source, not necessarily a different variety. Chile seeds are labelled this way to keep track of where they came from and different possible variations or selective breeding attempts.

Potawie, do you have information on how CARDI 'developed' the Douglah? I'm curious because the CPI tests showed that it has so many genetic similarities to the Jonah that one of the 7 pots must have been involved in creating it. Meaning it was either a hybrid or it was a mutant.

I heard it was a cross of a 7 pot and an unknown brown variety. I don't know for sure if CARDI developed it but they tested it back around 2007-8 at over 1 million SHU which leads me to believe they had a part in it
Douglah apparently means something to do with an inter-racial union

I heard it was a cross of a 7 pot and an unknown brown variety. I don't know for sure if CARDI developed it but they tested it back around 2007-8 at over 1 million SHU which leads me to believe they had a part in it
Douglah apparently means something to do with an inter-racial union

That would make it a hybrid wouldn't it? Just not inter-specific and stabilized, meaning you no longer require the F(N) tag. Probably the Brown Congo as if I'm not mistaken that's native there?

If its stable its not a hybrid. If so everything would be a hybrid. You can call it an intra-species/specific hybrid to show it has different parents within the same species but I prefer to use the word cross unless dealing with f1s

Edit: Yes intra, not interspecies :)

By the biological definition of hybrid it's still technically a hybrid is it not? Stability seemingly has no effect on the definition.

http://www.biology-o...ctionary/Hybrid

It is not an inter-species (interspecific) hybrid as both parents were c. chinense. It can be called an intraspecies hybrid I suppose.

So Douglah is probably what I want then. This should be interesting. I think I'm going to grow everything I can get my hands on, keep meticulous notes and see what comes of it. Hybrids, crosses, stability. ugh. I can't help myself. The further I wade in the stickier it gets. :shocked:

My plant biology textbooks may be a bit outdated but I can show all kinds of different definitions for the word hybrid, which is why I use the word cross to avoid confusion. Otherwise almost every living organism is a hybrid

From what I understand:

Cross - The method used to create a hybrid. 'Crossing' two strains means forcing sexual reproduction between two strains with different traits. I usually only consider the F1 variety to be a cross.

Hybrid - A strain created from two different parent strains

Interspecific hybrid - A strain created by crosses between two or more different species

Stability - How predictable the traits of a plants offspring will be. If the plant is very stable, the plant's traits will be very similar year after year. If it is unstable, two seeds planted from the same pod could produce two very different plants.

F1 - The FIRST generation of a hybrid strain. The seeds planted from the pod produced from a crossed flower produce F1 plants.

F2, F3, F4, etc - The subsequent generations of a hybrid strain. Flowers are either self-pollinated or pollinated by other flowers from the same plant. The number after F tells us which generation the plant is.

That's just how I've always looked at it. More definitions definitely welcome in case I'm mistaken.

Back