• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help please. 7 pot Chocolate aka Douglah?

Yes, Hybrid can be defined in countless ways depending on context. Since we are talking peppers/chiles, a horticultural or plant breeding definition would fit best. So it may be better to look up the definition in a horticultural or plant breeding text resource than a general biology text/resource. Even within the plant breeding realm the definition may vary slightly.

Here's one definition and you can see some different uses of the word

"
In biology and specifically, genetics, the term hybrid has several meanings, all referring to the offspring of sexual reproduction.[sup][1][/sup]
  1. In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the mating of two distinctly homozygous individuals
  2. a genetic hybrid carries two different alleles of the same gene
  3. a structural hybrid results from the fusion of gametes that have differing structure in at least one chromosome, as a result of structural abnormalities
  4. a numerical hybrid results from the fusion of gametes having different haploid numbers of chromosomes
  5. a permanent hybrid is a situation where only the heterozygous genotype occurs, because all homozygous combinations are lethal.
From a taxonomic perspective, hybrid refers to offspring resulting from the interbreeding between two animals or plants of different species.[sup][2][/sup]
  1. Hybrids between different subspecies within a species (such as between the Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger) are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different species within the same genus (such as between lions and tigers) are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids or crosses. Hybrids between different genera (such as between sheep and goats) are known as intergeneric hybrids. Extremely rare interfamilial hybrids have been known to occur (such as the guineafowl hybrids).[sup][3][/sup] No interordinal (between different orders) animal hybrids are known.
  2. The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

So Douglah is probably what I want then. This should be interesting. I think I'm going to grow everything I can get my hands on, keep meticulous notes and see what comes of it. Hybrids, crosses, stability. ugh. I can't help myself. The further I wade in the stickier it gets. :shocked:

Welcome to the Jungle! ;-)

Nice, So who here has a few of what they're pretty sure is the Douglah seeds they'd be willing to part with? I'll show you my trading list.

I've got Douglah seeds you can have. They were not isolated when grown though so they may not grow true. I can increase your odds as I got seeds from several different pods. Shoot me a PM.

ok thanks potawie...

but if i grow a "red douglah" what do i expect to have? a 7 pot red or something else?

everybody wants to give a name to their pepper...

can some one help me distinguish:
a Billyboy 7 pot
a wayright 7 pot
a wayright morouga blend
a morouga blend
and so on...

Ive never attached my name to ANY pepper!
If you got them from me, then they are what they are! Not wayrights ! :cool:

Kevin

Well these are my Douglahs..
They are Nasty Hot!! But in a good way! Lol
IMG_0270-1.jpg

Ive never attached my name to ANY pepper!
If you got them from me, then they are what they are! Not wayrights ! :cool:

Kevin

Sorry Kevin!
on the bag it was written 7 pot red Wayright so i didnt make the connection....

so that's my bad!!!! maybe it's this way some new name appears on the same strain!

so to all im sorry and i dont have any "wayright" (fill the superhot pepper name here) pepper i have normal super hot!

and thanks spicegeist for the red doug link!

Back