• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help!! Problems pollenating!!

I am a newbie at growing but I have read use a q tip and gently rub the insides of the flower then repeat it to every flower. I could be wrong though so maybe someone with more experiance will give some tips. I just read about the q tip thing and have not tried it yet so I could be wrong.

Peppers, I think, are pretty much self pollinators. You can use the qtip as described by HPFF, or I think something as simple as using a fan would work.

I have not manually pollinated any of my plants. However, they are exposed to a fan twice a day for an hour at a time and I'm getting pods. Hope this helps...

If you are growing only one variety, just shake the flowers gently and you're done.

Otherwise cover young flowers with a teabag, tie a thrad around it and shake the bag a little once the flowers a little once they're open, wait until the pods are starting to grow , remove the teabag, but not the thread (it can serve as a marker for the pollinated pods). All the pods you poliinated this way will yield pods with single-origin seeds..

Chiliac said:
If you are growing only one variety, just shake the flowers gently and you're done.

Otherwise cover young flowers with a teabag, tie a thrad around it and shake the bag a little once the flowers a little once they're open, wait until the pods are starting to grow , remove the teabag, but not the thread (it can serve as a marker for the pollinated pods). All the pods you poliinated this way will yield pods with single-origin seeds..

yup excellent,
rubbing the flowers gently together is good too and how i cross pollinate sometimes.

Barry White Music playing in the background increases the ratio of pollination. Well, that what I have been told.

:lol:

rainbowberry said:
Chillis are self-pollinating so you don't need to do anything, I know some people like to give them a hand though.

I thought he was to prevent cross pollination. If that is not the case, there's no need to do what I suggested. I always try to get some/lots of single origin seeds for trades and the next season, though.

I'm not sure about Barry White, I heard 7Pot and Nags prefer Slayer.

Chiliac said:
I thought he was to prevent cross pollination. If that is not the case, there's no need to do what I suggested. I always try to get some/lots of single origin seeds for trades and the next season, though.

I'm not sure about Barry White, I heard 7Pot and Nags prefer Slayer.
Kreator! ;)

i like the shakey-shakey method cuz i'm lazy and there's a lot of flowers, but later when i'll be going for pure seed i'll use the q-tip.

Back