• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds HELP! What have I done to me seedlings

A few of my seedlings have started to die today.

They were fine and healthy this morning but have gone limp and a few have brown splotches on the leaves.

Just the ones I have in the Jiffy Pellets too, The ones in seedling mix are fine. the only thing I have done today is water them this morning with normal tap water.

Any ideas?

xsft1.jpg

11sjl2d.jpg

5kj7v4.jpg

33omglv.jpg

Give them a gentle squeeze to get rid of the excess water if they are soaked.

Maybe use a spray bottle vs straight watering.

Ahh okay, I was overwatering them before, twice or three times a day, then I cut it back to like once, should it be about once every two or so days? and when I do water them its only a small amount.

the pics are from just after I watered them as well...

But yeah I will try to cut back alot... I must be one of the ones who loves them to death maybe?

Yep,...Sounds and looks like your killing them with kindness LF, I use the same Jiffy Pellets for my seedlings and only water once maybe every 3rd day....and that's under lights. You can see when the pellet is starting to dry-out as it changes too a lighter brown, that's when I water and completely soak the pellet through and allow excess to drain off.

I use rock wool....slightly different but I let them dry out...pick it up and feel the weight....it will be very light. Slightly drying them out will force the roots to search for water and promote root growth.

Baby seedlings get 1-2 Tbls of water....plants with 2 or 3 sets of leaves get 1/4 cup until transed into soil.

Hotrod64 said:
Yep,...Sounds and looks like your killing them with kindness LF, I use the same Jiffy Pellets for my seedlings and only water once maybe every 3rd day....and that's under lights. You can see when the pellet is starting to dry-out as it changes too a lighter brown, that's when I water and completely soak the pellet through and allow excess to drain off.

Precisely this.

Best way to water a jiffy.

Back