• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Help with chocolate habanero hot sauce

I believe on the label the ingredients are listed in order of quantity used.

If you want to experiment get some store bought habs and play with quantities of each until you get the flavor and PH that you want.  Make sure you measure everything so you can repeat it.

-Alden

AldenMiller said:
I believe on the label the ingredients are listed in order of quantity used.

If you want to experiment get some store bought habs and play with quantities of each until you get the flavor and PH that you want.  Make sure you measure everything so you can repeat it.

-Alden
Good advice Aiden, thanks.

I checked my bottle and ingredients and quantity don't match what is shown on the web site...
29190727810_136292eb8a_z_d.jpg

I made my first small batch, here's what I used:
8 Jamaican Hot Chocolates and 8 Fatalii Black, heavily smoked with cherry wood.
1/2 large onion
2 tsp garlic salt (I didn't have any fresh garlic...)
3 oz red wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar

29479378925_54532e0212_k_d.jpg

It came out pretty good, but way hotter than the original. I nailed the sweetness level (I started with just 2 tbs and kept increasing it until I got the right level. It needs a lot more garlic, I'll remember to buy some for the next batch.

29370752582_9b30c5c8ba_k_d.jpg

Looks very nice Big Kahuna !! I make a similar sauce using sun dried tomatoes with many of the same items and love cherry smoked peppers. Have you tried roasting your onions then adding to sauce mixture give's great depth of flavor and adds natural sweetness  :) 
 Cheers

Back