• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Help with green house over aussi winter

ummm - while im not refuting that its a great idea. I think flowers & fruit set have more to do with air temp than ground around here.

I have plants in the ground that have been there for nearly 3 years. I am going to try overwintering some in pots this year but solely to try & produce fresh pods mid-winter.

You can have some of mine shayne

Bent all true about flowert set. I think the whole black plastic heated water thing is a rediculous idea but I'd love to see someone do it lol

Shayneyasinski....what is the pod production rate like within the green house setting? Is it as prevalent as the main growing part of the season?
Im new to green houses. Stillmanz ...great idea but like your self i believe I would be sleeping on the couch or in the laundry with my 2 staffys lol!

Dave

Personally in your climate as with mine I think Shade houses are better they breath better and you can use them in Summer. easy to dodge one of them up to Star pickets tension wire and light shade clothe.

Mick

I might do a little mix actually .. Have some plastic on the top and shade on the sides or something like that, to see if i can get them podding all year round...Good excuse to keep me busy and out of house work range.lol!:onfire:

Dave

stillmanz said:
You can have some of mine shayne

Bent all true about flowert set. I think the whole black plastic heated water thing is a rediculous idea but I'd love to see someone do it lol

lol - ridiculous isn't in my dictionary. It would actually heat the surrounding air and as well yeah, create its own humidity.

what i was refuting was that below ground (root) heating would be needed in Oz given that we only get a few hours of frost per year.

What about this for a no brainer...First we need a heat source...Then copper wire (long coils) placed in surrounding 'strategic' areas under the ground near the 'prized chilli'and then connect to heat source. hmmm...might work lol!

lol' copper isn't cheap me thinks your wife will be killing you.
...they will grow in our winter and should pod anyway. whats your av winter temps?

You are right stillmanz I'll definately be ostracised to the laundry with the dogs... Our average temps arent to bad we get a month or so of 1-3 mins and that is the time when they get drilled...its my first time this year with large numbers of plants so it will be interesting to see how they go...im thinking ill just chuck the 'mother plants' under some plastic or a shadey.

Fun fun lol

don't forget about those cheap frost covers you can get from bunnings they would be perfect for your bigger stuff. Or a trolley on wheels put all your plants on them during the day out in the sun at night into the garage, a mate of mine does this with tomatoes and stuff he lives in a high frost zone, works well for him. And your neighbours will think you crazy......

AlabamaJack said:
this is what i had in mind...i realize this if for a bed and not containers but there are other options I think

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_a2&cid2=419&cid1=175

AJ, keeping the soil warm would probably make for happier plants, but you'd still have to have some way of keeping the above ground vegetative growth from being damaged.

I'm wondering if a smaller and somewhat short greenhouse over the plants would hold enough heat from the soil to protect the plant?

I was just reading one of my gardening books, and it talks about plants wilting in spring when the air is warm but the soil is not, even though the ground is watered, as the water in some soils doesnt become available at a high enough rate until the soil temp increases, which usually takes a week or three to catch up. Could this throw a spanner in the works? I would imagine that anything that heats the foliage would also heat the soil, skipping this problem. But on the flipside, if the soil is the only warm part of the equation, would the transpiration rate improve, or even exist, if the air is too cold?
Hmmm, its way too late here for these thoughts. AJ, over to you.

Edit: Just had the thought, if a frost came along, doesnt matter how warm the soil is, the cells not far off of the ground would be succeptible to freezing, resulting in a permanent case of dead plant, wouldnt it?

Heat rises in a greenhouse so ideally you'd want to heat the ground( or as low as possible) to keep the plants' roots warm and try to have the plants as high off the ground as you can if in pots.

Back