• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Help with growing coffee from seeds.

Just ordered some Coffea bengalensis seeds and still waiting on seedlings of Arabica to come up. How long does it take to get coffee from plant when started from seed ? Had abit of luck with seedling but died soon after up..

Just ordered some Coffea bengalensis seeds and still waiting on seedlings of Arabica to come up. How long does it take to get coffee from plant when started from seed ? Had abit of luck with seedling but died soon after up..

Go north or south young man and talk to a coffee grower. There are many in both directions, but none in the central plains where we live. Coffee needs special conditions which we don't have; but maybe you can baby a few plants to produce.
Good luck. Cheers.

Yes can get some coffee plants from Bangkok but have been to busy to get out there. Also can get Vanilla, and Tea. LOL have just got seedling of cinnomon tree. But not the best kind of cinnomon. Still poking around with what can grow good here. Chives are doing better now its got colder. So busy will have to get helppers to send plants to us. LOL,,, will keep up to date if any seedling come up and make it.

I bought some coffea arabica seeds out of curiosity, I waited 9 months for one out of three to germinate.
if you think Thailand is tough, you want to try the UK !!!
Currently my bush is about 35mm tall, but I dont hold out much hope of it surviving the winter, even indoors.
I was told that I could get beans after about three years.
I hope you do well.

I rank coffea arabica below musa basjoo when it comes to germinating. A lady gave me a tip on germinating the latter - put the seeds in a glass of water for 24-48 hours. Discard any seeds that float. Any good ones, put in a plastic bag one can seal, with a few drops of water, and stick it on top of a refrig, computer, TV - someplace where they is some but not much heat. Grow a beard waiting for it to germ (60 days is good!).

Hopefully, you have better luck!

Mike

Years ago I had a coffee arabica plant but it was sold already growing and it did fine with the rest of my house plants. I have no experience at starting them from seeds.

Where is PA ? I'm in Thailand. Coffee is worth growing as mostly an exotic plant but if your not at a good place to grow them would be a waste of money as the coffee you get will not be great. Even if its good you've got to think about the price of the Roaster, Coffee maker, Time of turning the cherries to beans. You'd need a few Coffee trees to get enough. How much coffee your going to drink? I drink about 5 cups a week so is not worth me doing it other then all my free time. I've not Roasted any but sure they'll not roast good as I'll only use a Connvection oven for the roasting. 10 USD a month is all the coffee I use that is with what I give to friends as well. A $300.00 Roaster will take to long to be worth the money plus if I'm making ok coffee but not great coffee. I'd really be better just growing them for fun and wood then Coffee beans. The girl I got my from only sells the plants and she use the beans they make for seeds. I'm not really having fun growing coffee

I'd think Tea is better to grow to use... But its not very fun to grow ether. Cocoa, Vanilla, Cinnamon I'm liking alot growing.

I'd think Tea is better to grow to use... But its not very fun to grow ether. Cocoa, Vanilla, Cinnamon I'm liking alot growing.

In the USA, no its not really a taditional place to grow coffee but it sounded cool. How do you start vanilla and cinnamon?

I understand vanilla has beans that contain rediculously small seeds is that what you are using?

Vanilla is an Orchid so its seeds are spores. So you'll have to buy them already started. Should be easy to order off the net in the USA. But will not be good to grow unless your good at growing orchids. Here I just put them out side and don't over water them and they do great. Most will not flower here as we don't get cold enough. But Vanilla should do fine. Cassia Cinnamon could grow fine there and its the cinnamon in most places. Ceylon Cinnamon may not do well in most states. South Florida should do great. Cinnamon takes years to get but when you get it you'll get more then you may ever use.

Cinnamon we've started by seeds took awhile and died when I repoted them. You must be careful of there roots. So better to repot when root bound although when older seem so be much stronger. I'd not start Vanilla from seeds unless I needed 10000 of them. As the Vines we have branch can be cut to make more. They seem to grow about 1 inch a month. I've heard they don't flower till about Oct and the seed Pods are whats used for the Vanilla flavor. The pod takes months of work to get them ready to use.

Coffee is alot of work for 1 cup. Coffee will drop cherry all over. Some will grow (so weeds if in the walk way or where you don't want them). You'll have to get the beans (seeds) out of the cherries, then you'll have to husk them, roast them, grind them, and steep them. Ahhhhhhhh.... Better buy some green coffee beans and try and roast them, steep them and see if its good enough for the money spent. (remeber that most likly the beans are probably great coffee not make by beginer)

If wanting a coffee plant for convesation peice remember they are a tree if Arabic, Canephora, maybe more. Coffea Bengalnsis is smaller and maybe better as is a bush but grows faster has nice flowers but so do the others.

I'm just saying 1 hour working getting paid 10 USA will get you more coffee then 1 hour growing 2 coffee trees. So buy some green beans and try and roast and grind and steep them.

Back