• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Help with identifying Pepper

A new pepper enthusiast here. Thought the whole time this was going to be "Bishop Crown". Fresh as I may be I know this much-IT IS NOT. To me it looks so bizarre.
  • Seeds were originally extracted from a fresh Bishop Crown pod..so mix up seeds in bag is eliminated.
This beg the question in my mind whether hybridised pod (maybe from origin) can still look like parents pod, right/wrong?
  • Bear in mind all photos here are taken from one plant and adjacent to this on the ground is a Brazilian Starfish & 2 Aji Norteno (if any consequences)
https://picasaweb.go...lledBishopCrown
Any help will be much appreciated

A new pepper enthusiast here. Thought the whole time this was going to be "Bishop Crown". Fresh as I may be I know this much-IT IS NOT. To me it looks so bizarre.
  • Seeds were originally extracted from a fresh Bishop Crown pod..so mix up seeds in bag is eliminated.
This beg the question in my mind whether hybridised pod (maybe from origin) can still look like parents pod, right/wrong?
  • Bear in mind all photos here are taken from one plant and adjacent to this on the ground is a Brazilian Starfish & 2 Aji Norteno (if any consequences)
https://picasaweb.go...lledBishopCrown
DSCN4058.JPG

068.JPG

Any help will be much appreciated

A Bishop's Hat flower would have gold/yellow spots on the petals. Judging from the flower what you have is an interspecies hybrid of the Capsicum Baccatum Bishop's Hat with a plant of another species. There is some feint yellowness on the petals.

The leaves of the plant have a Capsicum Annuum influence to my eye.

Cross pollination between your own plants will only impact the outcome of the seeds inside your pods if you were to grow them out.

Interesting cross! I think it looks like it crossed with c. annuum as well. Let me know if you are willing to trade the seeds. The fertility rate might be really low or not fertile, but I'd love to try it out.

A Bishop's Hat flower would have gold/yellow spots on the petals. Judging from the flower what you have is an interspecies hybrid of the Capsicum Baccatum Bishop's Hat with a plant of another species. There is some feint yellowness on the petals.

The leaves of the plant have a Capsicum Annuum influence to my eye.

Cross pollination between your own plants will only impact the outcome of the seeds inside your pods if you were to grow them out.
Thanks for the wealth of info. So the pod that I originally extracted seeds from were giving me this plant! I just thought this is so weird looking

Interesting cross! I think it looks like it crossed with c. annuum as well. Let me know if you are willing to trade the seeds. The fertility rate might be really low or not fertile, but I'd love to try it out.
Sure love to share it when I eventually harvest it. Let me know your contact or remind me later

yes it has crossed with something, but my guess it has crossed with a C. chinense that is why the flowers look cream or yellowish. I would think back what might have grown near it last year. It is a interesting cross, it would be nice to hear what it taste like when its ripe.

yes it has crossed with something, but my guess it has crossed with a C. chinense that is why the flowers look cream or yellowish. I would think back what might have grown near it last year. It is a interesting cross, it would be nice to hear what it taste like when its ripe.
Will keep up future updates on THP forum. Plant derived from a fresh pod posted to me by someone on another site. Probably should ask him.

Hi, thought I add some update on this post
  1. Firstly most of the early pods seem to fall off as it has diseases on the pods. Section of a typical pod shown here
DSCN4581+-+Copy.JPG
DSCN4584.JPG
DSCN4390.JPG

2. Some more new pods emerges and looks quite different from each other: shown below
DSCN5517.JPG
DSCN5516.JPG
DSCN5521.JPG
DSCN5522.JPG

3. I am still waiting for any pods resembling "bishop crown" in my peppers collection which I will try to show off in another post. I am still trying to navigate around THP forum. So...I am doubting myself what had actually happened.

They're ripening brown??? Crazy looking pods...like one of the "giant" chocolate habs to my eye. I see chinense in there for sure, how is the flavor? Maybe a douglah too...cool freaking plant for sure, and a keeper! My bet is insanely hot...

Very interesting looks like the pods will be quite large, I still hold to the idea that it must have crossed with a C. chinense but I'm not sure what variety, It will binteresting to see a fully ripe pod most of the pods look quite bumpy and twisted some what.
I think my bishop crown has out crossed with my Praetermissum pepper, so I will be interested in seeing just what it will look like, I may try a purposed cross with a Brain Strain or a Primo if I have one that came up .

Very interesting looks like the pods will be quite large, I still hold to the idea that it must have crossed with a C. chinense but I'm not sure what variety, It will binteresting to see a fully ripe pod most of the pods look quite bumpy and twisted some what.
I think my bishop crown has out crossed with my Praetermissum pepper, so I will be interested in seeing just what it will look like, I may try a purposed cross with a Brain Strain or a Primo if I have one that came up .
yes that's a possibility, as i looked at it a little more it screams BACCATUM
neat plant

thanks your friend Joe

Joe...if you open her picassa link in the first post you'll see how they ripened....the flowers don't say baccatum at all. Pods ripened chocolate color. Crazy shapes too...really cool plant.

thanks ll

still not sure what they are, my guess would be Jamaican hot chocolate hab
ajijoe, this is definitely a plant with seeds extracted from a Bishop Crown. A person on a gardenforum in Australia posted me pods and that was when I first discovered chillies!! Now, I am having problems posting pic (or cannot remember how) hence I just have to use link thru picassa. https://plus.google.com/photos/103163675896804196253/albums/5834784708488824129

Joe...if you open her picassa link in the first post you'll see how they ripened....the flowers don't say baccatum at all. Pods ripened chocolate color. Crazy shapes too...really cool plant.
Thanks #stc3248 for your comments. Now you got me excited about this pepper. I tasted it and it is sweet but bitterly hot. If anyone out there interested in seeds I am most happy to share. Pm me if interested. I may now think about planting out F2 (or should it be called F1??)

Thanks #stc3248 for your comments. Now you got me excited about this pepper. I tasted it and it is sweet but bitterly hot. If anyone out there interested in seeds I am most happy to share. Pm me if interested. I may now think about planting out F2 (or should it be called F1??)

F2, these you're growing now are F1

Add me to the seed list. :)

ajijoe said:
wow im a little interested too now bishops crown you say?? chocolate in color yes i checked the pics what wild looking cross!!

thanks your friend Joe
#ajijoe, I had tried email the person who posted me the original pods BC but gotten no reply.  to me it the blossom end of the ripe pods looks like Pablano (which he also posted to me day one) but I do not know where that bright chocolate come from.  I thought it looks weird from first day.  I have been waiting for it to look like Bishop Crown initially but..

Back