• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with Serrano Plant?

Hi all,

My serrano plant has started to display yellowish/orange blemishes on just the top leaves. After hardening it off for two weeks, I put the pepper plant outside full time and one day it got more sun that I intended. I'm thinking these spots are from the sun because the lower leaves, which were shaded by the top ones, didn't get affected. Is this the result of too much direct sun, or is this something else? If it's the sun, will the plant recover on its own?

ngdo5k.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a little flower bud forming on the top of the plant (sorry, couldn't get a good pic of that). I know that some people pinch early buds back, but I'd rather let nature take its course. I just don't want the plant to just grow one pepper because I should have pinched. I sowed the seed on 5/6 and it's about 8 inches tall now. Does the plant look okay to start budding? Any advice is appreciated!

1z1u1kl.jpg

Have you been fertilizing it with anything? If so, how much? Also, I'm not sure but the metalic pot could get the soil really hot if it's in direct sunlight. I'd consider potting it in something else.

Also, you can pinch the buds but I usually let small ones stay. They don't usually set for a long while, if at all. I prefer to wait til they arc before I pull em.

Have you been fertilizing it with anything? If so, how much? Also, I'm not sure but the metalic pot could get the soil really hot if it's in direct sunlight. I'd consider potting it in something else.

Also, you can pinch the buds but I usually let small ones stay. They don't usually set for a long while, if at all. I prefer to wait til they arc before I pull em.

Hi, I've been using Foxfarm's ocean forest potting soil and my understanding is that the mix comes hot out of the bag so I don't fertilize with anything to avoid burn. I do apply an epsom salt (1 tbsp to quart of water) foliar feeding once a week, but that's it. As for the pot, I was kind of worried about it getting too hot, but each time I touch the container it feels cool. Maybe I'll still try something else just in case.

Thanks for the info about pinching buds!

Also, if you repot, be sure that it has drainage. It'll also make it easier for oxygen to feed the roots. Hopefully that'll clear your issues up.

Also, if you repot, be sure that it has drainage. It'll also make it easier for oxygen to feed the roots. Hopefully that'll clear your issues up.

Yep, I make sure all containers have drain holes at the bottom. I actually drilled a few at the bottom of the pail in the picture. Thanks!

hi! was the plant wet (for example from rain) when it was standing in the sun?
if it is from the sun, don´t worry. it won´t recover but this is not dangerous.

hi! was the plant wet (for example from rain) when it was standing in the sun?
if it is from the sun, don´t worry. it won´t recover but this is not dangerous.

Hi, no the plant wasn't wet. I usually water in the evening after the sun goes down.

Thanks for reassurance about possible sun damage. I was hoping this wasn't serious. If it's not the sun, I don't know what it could be.

How hot has it been getting down there Jenn? Your epsom salt mix is a little strong i use one tablespoon per gallon once a week. When i first started useing epsom i was using like every other night last year and it screwed up some of my plants and made them extremly photo sensitive so they burnt real easy and wilted like crazy...they recoverd after a month or so i wouldnt spray that one any more and dont give it as much sun, see if it recovers, but yeah thats my take hope it helped..
ohh and i emailed you about that other deal let me know if you got it, cool? :cool:

How hot has it been getting down there Jenn? Your epsom salt mix is a little strong i use one tablespoon per gallon once a week. When i first started useing epsom i was using like every other night last year and it screwed up some of my plants and made them extremly photo sensitive so they burnt real easy and wilted like crazy...they recoverd after a month or so i wouldnt spray that one any more and dont give it as much sun, see if it recovers, but yeah thats my take hope it helped..
ohh and i emailed you about that other deal let me know if you got it, cool? :cool:

Hi! It's been in the nineties here, but it looks like it's going to cool down to the low 80's/high 70's this week. Thanks for the epsom salt tip, and I'll keep the serrano in the shade to see how it does. My other peppers seem to love it, fortunately.

And yes, got your message... will respond in a sec. Thanks again!

Looks like it got a little burned and is possibly over watered. Give it more shade and just 3 hours or less of morning sun OR - evening sun. Skip the epsom w the soil you're using. Just water it when it dries out, not every night. It does not have enough vegetation to support pods IMO - keep pinching. After a few weeks, if it looks better, you can give it more sun. Don't be in a hurry for pods, if you let it grow, you'll get plenty.

Looks like it got a little burned and is possibly over watered. Give it more shade and just 3 hours or less of morning sun OR - evening sun. Skip the epsom w the soil you're using. Just water it when it dries out, not every night. It does not have enough vegetation to support pods IMO - keep pinching. After a few weeks, if it looks better, you can give it more sun. Don't be in a hurry for pods, if you let it grow, you'll get plenty.

Thanks for the response. Yep, I moved the serrano to the shade and will see how it does. I've been watering the plant every few days (when my moisture meter says its dry), so hopefully it's not getting too much water.

And thanks for your comment about the vegetation; I was worried it didn't have the ability to support early pods. So to have the proper support, should the plant have more lateral branches, leaves or something else? What should it look like when its ready to start producing pods?

Thanks for the help!

It should look about twice as bushy as your picture - and it should be healthy. Sick plants don't need the added stress of trying to make pods too. You have plenty of time left. Until it is healthy enough to survive at least 6 hours of direct sun, pinch every bud you see. Your plant will love you.

I'm sure people on this forum have better examples than these, but here are my two Serrano plants, both in 4 gallon containers-

My Good Serrano

My Bad Serrano This is the one my cat got - turned a three inch seedling into a one inch seedling. :lol: It's making a comeback. I've been pinching buds on this one, but it's good to go now.

It should look about twice as bushy as your picture - and it should be healthy. Sick plants don't need the added stress of trying to make pods too. You have plenty of time left. Until it is healthy enough to survive at least 6 hours of direct sun, pinch every bud you see. Your plant will love you.

Thank you! I'll do that.

I'm sure people on this forum have better examples than these, but here are my two Serrano plants, both in 4 gallon containers-

My Good Serrano

My Bad Serrano This is the one my cat got - turned a three inch seedling into a one inch seedling. :lol: It's making a comeback. I've been pinching buds on this one, but it's good to go now.

Thanks for showing the pics! That definitely gives me a better idea of what my plant is going to look like. How old are your serranos? Also, I see that you have a stake in the first one (couldn't tell if you had a stake in the second). At what point did you add it?

My Good Serrano

Bea-u-ti-ful! Seranos....mmmmmm :drooling:

My Serrano seeds were started in late February. I add the stakes when I think the plants need them - when they get taller, bushier, heavy with pods. Experience has taught me that earlier is better than later with stakes. They are tied loosely.

My Serrano seeds were started in late February. I add the stakes when I think the plants need them - when they get taller, bushier, heavy with pods. Experience has taught me that earlier is better than later with stakes. They are tied loosely.

Did you do any pruning to get your serrano that bushy, or did the plant do this on its own? Thanks again for all your help.

Did you do any pruning to get your serrano that bushy, or did the plant do this on its own? Thanks again for all your help.

No pruning on the 1st one. The cat pruned the 2nd one. I usually don't prune anything, I let nature do it's thing for the most part. To me, leaves = horsepower - and the more horsepower, the more pods.

Back