• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help_Nutrient Deficiency

I have these markings on a few of the older leaves on some of my chilli plants, mostly the Habanero White Bullet.
Does anyone know what would be causing it?

IMG_2216.jpg

I'm not the best person to answer your question, but I think it might be Magnesium Deficient. AJ put together a great Blog about leaf diagnosis here and your pic looks like his sample of magnesium deficiency. How this helps.

AJ, hope you don't mind me using your info. ;)

The leaves on my young ones have been light green to yellowish, with dark lines and blotches, and curling up. So, as a last ditch I put some magnesium into the soil. Man I hope this works.

It's normal for the older leaves, especially the larger ones, to get yellow and fall off. Leaves do not last forever, and are usually replaced by new growth as old ones fall off.

I belive the plant absorbs nutrients from the older leaves before discarding them, thus the yellowing. Dont worry about older growth turning yellow, look at new growth for a good indication of nutrient dificiency.

I had the same thing on my Jalapeno leaves right after spraying aphids with pyrethrum. Same on the pods too though. Don't know if it's because of the weather in Victoria, the aphids, the pyrethrum or a deficiency so I just pulled them up. Damn things had little to no heat anyway, and I only kept them going because I was giving them away to guys at work. Cold weather's stopped my plants producing anything decent anyway.

just lookin at the leaves,,,,there's gotta be something up??? I haven't sprayed them with anything. except some extra Magnesium Sulphate? perhaps its not a deficiency but perhaps too much of a good thing?

My overwintered plants are dropping a bunch of old leaves that look like yours while making plenty of nice new green ones. But were heading into the growing season here and you're exiting yours. I think Richard is correct, plants just discard old leaves.

first impression I had was Mag deficiency but it could be just old leaves too as others have said...

PF, I don't mind you using anything on my blogs...I put them there to help others anyway...

here is a pic from the blog that shows the mag deficiency...

SeeYouJimmy said:
I had the same thing on my Jalapeno leaves right after spraying aphids with pyrethrum. Same on the pods too though. Don't know if it's because of the weather in Victoria, the aphids, the pyrethrum or a deficiency so I just pulled them up. Damn things had little to no heat anyway, and I only kept them going because I was giving them away to guys at work. Cold weather's stopped my plants producing anything decent anyway.

Oh boy, I ended up using pyrethrum to kill off those critters that were eating the leaves. It says safe for all plants and all natural fine for vegetable up until day of harvest.... :rolleyes::(

worlok said:
Oh boy, I ended up using pyrethrum to kill off those critters that were eating the leaves. It says safe for all plants and all natural fine for vegetable up until day of harvest.... :rolleyes::(

Don't worry, I don't believe that's what caused my damage. I think it was just old age rather than anything else. I sprayed all my plants and only the Jalapenos turned bad. Just a coincidence.

Back