• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hendrix1326's Glog for 2012, yay!

Okay, so I have been incognito here on the forums for the last couple of months. Been distracted by video games, working on house projects, etc. Anyway, I decided last week that once I laid the vinyl flooring in my laundry room that I would start germinating my seeds! I have settled on 20 varieties for this year, with (as many as) 50 plants, some of which I will keep at my mother's house, since she has a big garden space that won't all be used this year. I have the following varieties planted in Jiffy pellets in a "Germination Station" heating mat. I represented the "Big 5" species (Chinense, Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Frutescens) with at least one variety, and also have a couple wilds (C.Lanceolatum, and one called "Tio") to round it out. Here is the list, with how many of each one I am growing in bold parentheses at the end:

Chinense:
01-Yellow Bullet Habanero (similar to Peruvian White, but with a distinct canary yellow color) (2)
02-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2)
03-Red Biquinho Iracena (3)
04-CGN-21500 (2)
05-Red Aribibi Gusano (F1) (2)
06-White Bhut Jolokia (3)
07-Red 7-Pot (2)
08-Turtle's Claw (Aribibi Gusano) (2)
09-Zavory (3)

Annuum:
10-Red Pimiento (3)
11-Monkey Face (3)
12-Chicken Heart (2)
13-Purple UFO (2)
14-Hungarian Wax Cross (Unknown F1) (1, only got one seed!)

Baccatum:
15-Hot Lemon Drop (Aji Lemon) (3)
16-Bishop's Crown (3)

Pubescens:
17-Red Rocoto (3)

Frutescens:
18-CGN-22184 (3)

Lanceolatum:
19-Lanceolatum (Unknown Designation) (3)

Unknown Species:
20-Tio (3)

Here are the initial pictures of my embryonic grow rig, which will be overhauled by the time the seeds sprout:

http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0242.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0243.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0244.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0245.jpg

By the time the seeds are seedlings, I plan on having all of the rest of my supplies, which includes nursery pots, convertible heat lamps, thermostat, heater, oscillating fans, pulleys, reflective materials, the whole shebangabang.

I also wanted to thank the following THP members for either trading, SASBE-ing, or giving me seeds which are among the ones I am growing this year:

cmpman1974 (Biquinho, Purple UFO)
2gods (Aribibi Red, CGN21500)
paulmtonkin (Red 7, Monkey Face, Turtle's Claw)
Pulpiteer (Hot Lemon Drop)
ZanderSpice (Rocoto, CGN22184)
DudeThtsBad (Tio)
aropupu (Lanceolatum)
S.S. Tupperware (Bishop's Crown)
dshlogg (White Bhut)
melissa77754 (Chicken Heart)

Also, thanks to whomever sent me the Zavory, I couldn't remember or find any trace of who it might be, but I know it was one of the fine folks here on The Hot Pepper. Also, thanks to HH Farm on eBay, who was one of the shining beacons of hope for Chili-Heads on that abyss, and provided me with delicious peppers of all kinds, and to whom I owe thanks for the Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habs, as well as the Yellow Bullet Habs, among others.

Stay tuned, everyone, I will have dynamic updates over the course of the year on this thread, right up until final harvests and overwintering processes in probably October. Thanks for checking this thread out!

-Karl

All right, here are some new pictures I took yesterday of the progress on the pods on some plants:

Tobago Seasoning plant:
7-23-12-TobagoSeasoningplant.jpg

TC07246:
7-23-12-TC07246CSpeciespods.jpg

Rocoto!:
7-23-12-RedRocotopod.jpg

Red Aribibi Gusano:
7-23-12-RedAribibiGusanoF1pods.jpg

Red 7-Pot:
7-23-12-Red7-Potpod.jpg

Pimenta de Neyde:
7-23-12-PimentadeNeydepod.jpg

NagaBon:
7-23-12-NagaBonpods.jpg

Meister's Hab:
7-23-12-MeistersHabaneropod.jpg

Hungarian Black:
7-23-12-HungarianBlackpods.jpg

CGN21500:
7-23-12-CGN21500pods.jpg

Plants look great, Karl! Good too see the Tobago is finally starting too produce for you. Yours are doing great also, got pods on the plant now. The plants have hair on the stems and leaves...

IMAG1423.jpg

IMAG1422.jpg

The pods look like the one you got the seeds from don't they?

Hey, nice pictures! Yeah, those definitely have the same shape as the pods the seeds came from. Perhaps a touch bumpier, but virtually identical shape. Not sure what it is, but cool to see the next generation! When they ripen, let me know what they taste like! I did eat one, but I'm still curious how they may differ in flavor in a different growing climate.

Wow Karl you plants look amazing and really podding up I think we have two different pimenta de neyde because the one I have stay purple through the whole of ripening and my plants have a darker foliage like completely purple wirh green underside. The CGN21500 pods have a great color transition. I have enjoyed watching your videos keep up the great work

Wow Karl you plants look amazing and really podding up I think we have two different pimenta de neyde because the one I have stay purple through the whole of ripening and my plants have a darker foliage like completely purple wirh green underside. The CGN21500 pods have a great color transition. I have enjoyed watching your videos keep up the great work

Thanks! Yeah, I think that the biggest pod at least is crossed, since the shape is different than the pictures I've seen of them. I can't wait for the CGN21500 to ripen, the gentleman I got the seeds from says they are amazing flavor, but not too hot. I actually was surprised to find my Yellow Bullet Habaneros are finally ripening. I plucked a nice golden one off just a few minutes ago, and will be testing it out tonight. Hopefully more will follow suit soon!

Well, with my sister getting married this past weekend, I didn't get a chance to link to my update video, so I will be posting the newest one probably tomorrow, since I have yet to film it. Wednesday is my filming day, and since I'm working at 5am today, I can't film until I'm done with work this afternoon! On a note, finally my pods are ripening up! One CGN21500 is turning peach colored, many Yellow Bullet Habs are turned, several more Biquinho (which have been eaten :) ), a few Aribibi Gusano, some Baker's Lanterns are turning a little, and a bunch of Lemon Drops. I even have a Pimenta de Neyde which is turning orange (weird :P ), and most of my Chenzos are red now, too, so cool! Be back with the update video in a day or two!

Okay, so I've been harvesting BIG TIME the past week! I packed up (3) Small FRBs for some friends, tried to sell another SFRB that was PACKED TO THE BRIM with pods, plus made (3) different batches of pepper jelly (close to a pound of each pepper!), plus packed up an empty quart yogurt cup of pods to dole out to family, and I still have barely scratched the surface of the pods still have yet to ripen or for me to pick! Here is my most recent video (filmed 2 nights ago), after I had made the jam and packed up the 4 boxes, but just before I picked the ones for my family. You can see that there are still many pounds of pods left to get!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJR513tBaI&list=UUBeCLFnBO_IkpdQY0DVPyvQ&index=11&feature=plcp

Thanks for anyone who ducks in to check it out!

Looks like your plants are really liking what your are feeding them. :dance: How long til your grow comes to an end?

Time to get a bigger freezer :onfire:

Looks like your plants are really liking what your are feeding them. :dance: How long til your grow comes to an end?

Time to get a bigger freezer :onfire:

Yeah, I'm glad that I invested in the ProGrow, ProBloom, etc. They really dig on those products, plus the soil mix I made is also superb, and I can't wait to try my hand at overwintering once the summer is done. Good question, I guess I'll ride it out, bring them inside under the lights to ripen up any pods that remain after the frost starts coming, and see what month I end up trimming back and starting the overwintering process!

Awesome grow you got there. Nice of the wife to help with the camera. Now to get my wife to help me. Man. I tried Andy's peach bhut and that sucker was hot. Mouth burn for me and in less than I minute it hit my gut pretty bad. But seeing as you've eaten over 100 varieties. Your stomach should handle it well

That's a lot of pods yet to become ripe, Karl. Hope you can harvest all those goodies! How much plants are you gonna overwinter and which ones :D?

Awesome grow you got there. Nice of the wife to help with the camera. Now to get my wife to help me. Man. I tried Andy's peach bhut and that sucker was hot. Mouth burn for me and in less than I minute it hit my gut pretty bad. But seeing as you've eaten over 100 varieties. Your stomach should handle it well

Yeah, she doesn't mind, but she can't stand spicy food! I still haven't tried a Peach Bhut, and I've given away about a half dozen ripe pods to different friends/family members. Can't wait to delve in, I actually picked one the other night that I have in the fridge, waiting for me to bite into! Sounds like I will be in some lava for sure. Yeah, I can generally handle any heat level, though extract-based sauces always tear my guts up, and I don't do whole superhots anymore. It's the gut pain that did me in, not the mouth burn. Thanks for ducking in, and good luck getting your wife's help, haha :P!!!

That's a lot of pods yet to become ripe, Karl. Hope you can harvest all those goodies! How much plants are you gonna overwinter and which ones :D?

Hey, Stefan! Yeah, I have many pounds to go before I fully harvest these puppies, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's been cool sending some to different friends/family to sample, but it's tough to find many folks like I find here on THP to appreciate the subtlety between the different kinds! I will be overwintering 18 or so plants from different types. As it stands right now, here are the ones I will be overwintering:

[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]01 - Yellow Bullet Habanero[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]02 - Red Biquinho Iracema[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]03 - Aribibi Gusano[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]04 - Aribibi Gusano Red [F2][/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]05 - CGN21500[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]06 - Baker's Lantern[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]07 - Peach Bhut Jolokia[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]08 - White Fatali[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]09 - Kori Sitakame[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]10 - Tio[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]11 - C04392[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]12 - C01225[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]13 - TC07246[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]14 - Pimenta de Neyde x Unknown Red Cross[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]15 - Hot Lemon Drop[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]16 - Bishop's Crown[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]17 - Aji Cito[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]18 - Aji Cristal[/background]

Subject to change as the season comes to a close, and I sample all ripened varieties. Speaking of which, I tried my first ripened C.Chacoense (C04392) pod yesterday, and I must say I dug it! It tastes just like a Tabasco, or other C.Frutescens, so the two species may have common ancestry. I was especially inclined to think they have common roots with Tabasco peppers since they had the same pasty texture inside, not the harder flesh like most peppers tend to have. Anyway, that one will be overwintered, and now that I know better how to take care of them as they mature and start flowering, I think I can get a lot more pods than this year. Of course, I still have probably 100 pods or more between the 1 foot tall plants as it stands right now, but I always aim to improve harvest each year! Thanks for ducking in, Stefan!

caught upon your updates. Things are looking good. I see one heck of a harvest coming soon. or a couple harvests. Sorry to hear about the raiding of your plants. Some people :mad:

Back