• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Here is why you do research before buying peppers from eBay!!!

I was searching eBay for peppers today, and came across this auction for "Ghost Peppers":

1 oz. "Ghost Pepper" auction

Quite obviously from the picture, they are a Chinense, possibly Caribbean Red Habaneros, but not Bhut Jolokias or any Naga for that matter! Needless to say, I sent the seller a message telling them that they weren't Bhuts or Nagas, and sent them the following link to showcase the Bhut's true identity:

Science Daily article Oct. 2007

Anyone here on THP, may I reiterate the point so many have made on these forums:

DO RESEARCH AND BID WITH CAUTION, or avoid eBay altogether for peppers/seeds. People don't necessarily do these things intentionally, but nonetheless, the risk is yours if you don't look up these things for yourselves!

I've heard too many stories of people not getting the seeds they paid for on eBay to even want to risk that option.

Plus with so many exceptionally good seed vendors and sellers on this site, it's not even worth my time, effort and money to bother with eBay sellers that suddenly have the world's new hottest pepper for sale.

dvg

I sent the guy an email too. All of us should. Let the guy know what he's selling isn't bhuts. If he's honest he should thank folks for straightening him out, if he's a thief he either won't reply or he'll come up with some bull. Man I hate freaking thieves.

never been anything but hosed buying seeds and/or plants on EBAY.
with so many cool people trading and selling here why bother with those douchebags.

Sent him a message, too. Offered to send him real bhut jolokia seed if he will correct his auction. I doubt HE is trying to scam anyone. Until we told him, he probably thought he was growing the real deal.

Great! The good guys win.

Tonly that's cool that you can give folks the benefit of the doubt. I'm starting to get a little jaded in my old age.
ebay is only good for buying the whole plant. not seeds.

unless you decide to sell them your selves.

Back