• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Hey IGG Read This!!

I saw this special on cows on Public Television (KET). It was unbelieveable. The huge grain yards where cattle are blanket innoculated against anything, fed hormones and growth stimulants, kept in such large numbers that eventually some disease will become resistant to the torrent of antibiotics and REALLY be one mean mother%$@&^ of a virus when it gets out, are really sick. I couldn't eat steak for like a week. It really is evil. Not that it compares to cows take over of mars, but it is worth checking out.

cheezy - as for resistant strains of viruses, that holds true for all animals including humans if not even WORSE when it comes to human viruses! people are such freaks when it comes to being clean & going to the doctor for anything & getting pumped full of anti-biotics for anything or nonstop washing with germ killing soaps. our viruses are getting more resistant to our stuff. plus kids being so clean they'll have more problems down the road vs being exposed to germs at younger ages, one thing that helps is have a dog or cat.

as for cows, yea they might not be a smart choice for a meat source when it comes to the environment but what else can you do & try to wean the population off cows onto another meat source, but they'll always be needed for a milk source, people can raise more pigs/lamb/chickens/turkey/etc... instead.

but then again going green is not always better either! cost of things increase because of going green, even some new studies that say growing more corn will make it more humid in another location because corn sweats more than other crops.

corn will make it more humid in another location because corn sweats more than other crops.

That's a fact. I grew up on farm in Indiana. We grew lots of corn. Indiana is a giant corn field with the exception of the steel mills on lake Michigan. The temps. are considerably warmer and more humid in and around the fields. I know this through personal experience as does anyone who has spent any time in that type of environment. Some things just don't require a study.

And if you are talking about corn based fuels, it takes about a gallon of gasoline(in a tractor) to produce 1 gallon of corn based fuel. It is a joke. Not to mention the tortilla shortage if we start making corn into fuel.

But as for the cows, they get tons of antibiotics when they are not sick. It is constant and therefore much worse than any hypochondriac could be.(did I spell that right?)

But you will notice I said "for a week" I gave up steak. Not really very long. It will just have to become more expensive and less of it to fix the problem. Fewer grainyards and more real farms.

Back