Hi from a Hot Sauce noob looking for more experience

Hi,

I'm new to this whole hot sauce thing, but I really enjoy a good flavorful sauce. I've been doing some studying of the Scoville Scale and am wondering what the next sauce I should jump to should be. I'm going to be posting this in a different part of the forums, but just for the heck of it, why not here too just in case!

I've recently tried Blair's After Death Sauce and I LOOOOOVE it. I noticed it's just under 50k Scoville Heat units. I'm thinking about jumping to Widow which is around 100k. I'd also like to try Blair's Mega Death Sauce, but that's at like 300k and I figure I should have something to bridge the gap.

Other than that, introducing myself. The hottest pepper I've eaten has been a slice of Jalapeño WAAAY back when I grew them in the back yard in middle school. It was really hot to me at the time, but compared to Blair's After Death it's nothing. I normally like more mild hot sauces like Frank's, Tabasco, or Sriracha on pizza. Other than that I haven't had much beyond some obvious novelty sauces. So I'm happy to be here now, and hope I can gain some knowledge from you guys!

My advice would be to steer clear of the extract sauces, they are generally nasty tasting and very hard on your stomach.
There are heaps of people who sell sauces on here, maybe use the search feature and try something like "favorite sauce" or similar. :P

Im not sure what others off the top of my head, he does a nice jalapeno one i know that. To me the taste of extract sauces is a little metallic in flavor.

Greetings from Defcon HQ...

Don't fall into the Scoville trap. What's hot to one person may be mild to the next. Don't just eat certain sauces because they have a number on the label.

Thanks for the welcome all. I'm not going by the # on the label, I'm more going by web reviews and websites that have charts. I suppose it still could be rigged, but that is why I asked here as well to confirm I should jump to a certain sauce. I don't wanna get in over my head when After Death is REALLY HOT for me, but I do want to work up a tolerance at a decent clip to get to try something with more heat.

What other sauces by Blairs besides Pure Death don't have the extract in it? Are the extract ones really bitter?

Pure Death, Golden Death, Salsa de la Muerte, Original Death, Jalapeño Death, and Sweet Death are all extract-free. I find that sauces with the extract have lots of heat without the flavor.

Hmmm ... Sudden, Ultra, and Mega don't have pepper extract in the ingredient list on their website, so maybe After Death is the only "Death" sauce with extract. I may have to try some of the others sometime!

Pure Death, Golden Death, Salsa de la Muerte, Original Death, Jalapeño Death, and Sweet Death are all extract-free. I find that sauces with the extract have lots of heat without the flavor.

Hmmm ... Sudden, Ultra, and Mega don't have pepper extract in the ingredient list on their website, so maybe After Death is the only "Death" sauce with extract. I may have to try some of the others sometime!

Odd, I like the flavor of After Death. Maybe there are better sauces out there (well who am I kidding, there ARE better sauces out there) but I do seem to enjot Blair's :) .

Odd, I like the flavor of After Death. Maybe there are better sauces out there (well who am I kidding, there ARE better sauces out there) but I do seem to enjot Blair's :) .

After Death is pretty good. I've had other sauces with extract that I didn't care for at all, but After Death does have good flavor.

Back