Hi from Adelaide all the way down under way amongst the blowflies and heat !

Hi All,

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and have been seriously involved with chilli consumption and growing for only the last couple of years.

(Truth be told, it was actually about a dozen years ago that my (soon-to-be) brother in law decided to challenge me to lick a freshly sliced open orange habanero. Blokes being blokes, I soon accepted and at the time I thought I had put a 9 volt battery to my tongue. But, in more recent times, it's Cappy's Brain Strain that makes me think twice .... )

I can't say that I have an optimal environment to grow things, nor I can say that my house has ideal orientation to get best sun exposure for my plants (not that I would want to with those days that reach 45 deg C / 113 deg F). However, I can say that I have great gusto to learn and try new things and that was the reason to join here.

I have had limited success with the superhots, namely 7 Pot Brain Strain and the TS Butch T, and this year I have all sorts of things on the go from the Bahamian Goat Pepper through to some of the more unusual 7 Pot's including the Chaguanan and Primo. Hopefully all will go well.

Other than Chilli's, I have a passion for Native plants, specificaly Proteas, and my small front garden is teeming with them - it's taken about 7 years to get it the way I want it so I guess you can say that I stick to things when i get started.

On a last note, I must say that I have only dealt with two seed vendors here in Australia, and both have been extremely pleasant to deal with. From this experience, and watching this forum and others, it seems to me that most members are really genuine people who are also generous with their time, experience and effort to trade or sell seed. So, I'm glad to be here - perhaps one day I can serve as a knowledge bank to others.

Regards,

Tim

G`day mate. I`m afraid I`m a Pom, so I have to mention The Ashes. Looking forward to the coming tests, too. 

So are you growing Banksias? I`ve grown lots of Proteas and Banksias from seed here in southern California, so I know what a challenge they can be. if you can grow those, a few peppers should be no worries, although 113°F is a bit too warm for my liking. 

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net and Good Luck. 

Hiya Nigel,

You can mention the Ashes anytime you would like. With summer coming up, there will be plenty in most peoples gardens should we not have them in Trophy form !

I haven't been down the path of trying to germinate native seeds, but I have with Bromeliads - the Aechmea species in particular. Four years to germinate just three seeds - it just goes to show how different the South Australian climate is compated to South America.

We had 117+ Farenheit a few years back and the bitumen on the roads started melting - that day was a bit warm to everyone's liking I can tell you.

Regards,

T.

:welcome: From Missouri USA, Lots of good folk here and lots of info. If you have a question feel free to ask.
Love Proteas, and banksias, just wish I could find one that could stand the cold here Oh well I will just have to settle with what grows here the best Weeds.

Thanks for the warm welcome from all  :P 

Specifically, for wildseed57, I have some suggestions, at least according to a book called "The Protea Book" by Lewis Matthews (now out of print I believe).

Banksia Attenuata is good down to -4 deg C, but not good with humidity.

Banksia Baueri is good down to -6 deg C and takes the wind quite well.

Banksia Baxteri (my favourite Banksia and in my front garden) is good down to -5 deg C.

Banksia blechnifolia is good down to -5 deg C (I have two and they are growing fantastically)

etc etc

I have more info if you want it so I guess it would be best if you PM so I don't bore or aggravate anyone here with trying to take over a chilli forum with native info ;)

Regards to all,

Tim

:welcome: from jersey / USA. Nice looking plants. Now when I bring my son down for college in a few years, I'll know some local plant names.

G'Day Harry,

I've got about 58 plants in 6" pots that I have only just started leaving out of a night time - mind you, I went straight from Jiffy pellets to that size of pot with my own "special" mix thinking they would put out roots at a rapid pace. I suspect that was more of a hindrance than a help however.

I've got another small batch that have just come out of a heated propagator and gone into one of those plastic "little nursery" thingy-ma-bobs (from cheap as chips) and put into my gardenmaster shadehouse of a day time

Then there's my third batch still in the propagator....

I suspect my plants are a bit smaller than they *could* be because I think the weather around here has been very unsteady (as I'm sure you would agree), and still pretty cold of a night time. Then again, I also think I've been using fertiliser a bit too soon... I'm still learning though to make follow on seasons bigger and better.

Tell you what though, I've got a fair bit of seed from JungleRain of late and they come up so quick in the propagator I almost need the whip to keep them down!

How's it all going on your end ?

Regards,

Tim

Back