• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

High cholesterol?

PMD, I had issues a while with it and high Triglycerides, doc had me taking Vitamin B3 Niacin for it. Of course after I quit eating so much pulled pork it went down :(

My Father in Law is a Dentist and he looks for natural remedies when ever he can. Mom in law had High Cholesterol. After some research he found something at the health food store had her down and under control in a couple of weeks and it wasn't a poison. He also showed me how Cholesterol got a bad rap. Homocysteine is the real cause of the problem. It's an Amino Acid that occurs naturally in the body and is known to irritate blood vessels. If the irritation is bad enough, like when your eating a high protein diet, then it can can sauce damage to the vessels and the body will cause a scab of sorts to form to protect that area. What they found was those scabs had a lot a Cholesterol in them and bingo, it got a bad rep. Of course so long as your getting enough Folic Acid (vitamin B9) Homocysteine won't be a problem. 

Ok, back on subject, go to something like a Vitamine Store or Health Food Store where they carry supplements and they'll be able to guide you in the right direction.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :cool:

Jesus..you people are brainwashed by the media if you think carbs are your enemy. I'm not trying to preach, but since the OP asked.. look at vegans. No, I'm not asking you to be one, but at least check them. They eat a high carb, low fat diet and guess what, their blood tests are excellent. Yes a pure vegan diet has down sides as well but what does not? Type 2 diabetes can be REVERSED by a proper high carb diet. Yet if you go to the doctor you get shitty expensive medications for a lifetime... which treat the symptoms not the cause. So Big Pharma earns more money, LOTS of it. Just as a side note to think on, why do you think cannabis is illegal? ...disgusting greed.
Highly refined "foods" and sodas containing table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are not the same as raw or cooked vegetables and fruits. Chances are you ate a high fat diet until now, with lots of highly refined "food".
You can burn fat, sugar or alcohol (which is sugar, just in a toxic form) as a main source of "fuel". They don't mix well, you either eat high fat low carb or high carb low fat if you want to be healthy.
If you go high carb low fat, limit the fat to a maximum of 20-25% of the total calorie intake and you'll never get diabetes, but you'll feel amazing. No need to limit protein, but if you eat enough calories you'll get enough.
Or you can go pretty much zero carb high protein high fat - ketogenic diet - and...drink 23 cups of coffee each day so you don't fall asleep or get depressed.
You can't get around the fact that ALL of our cells run on carbs. They need it. Try it. Try a diverse high carb diet for a month. You can eat meat..just work on the ratios (cronometer helps). Drink lots of water!
This way you will consume way more vitamins, minerals, enzymes, whatever. Enough fiber is essential for a healthy gut, which you will also get. Bio/organic is good but not necessary at all as it usually costs way more.
You CAN take back your health despite what your doctors say. Good luck!

Your doctor will probably work with you on this one, especially if you challenge them.  'Whole' foods and physical activity.  Try to remove as many mass refined elements from your diet as you can.  I think about the number of steps from the source to the table.  Local farmers markets are a gold mine.  You can eat pretty well, feel better and probably save cash for peppers in the process.   :dance:   

One more thing: don't follow the carb/fat/protein guidelines on cronometer as it is set for a "standard" diet not a high carb one. It'll look like this: ~ 300% carb, 50% fat ?% protein :P

First of all the notion that eating a diet high in cholesterol will lead to high blood [cholesterol] is a myth. Your body produces cholesterol for many reasons. One of which is to help solubilize dietary fat. If you eat too much fat (especially saturated fats - which are more difficult to solubilize) your body will have to produce a commensurate amount of cholesterol. Once these fats are emulsified by the cholesterol and enter the bloodstream to begin metabolism, they are then known as LDLs. 
     Eat less fats (especially saturated and hydrogenated fats) and your body will not need to produce as much cholesterol and your LDL levels will drop.
     One of the problems with taking statins is that (as alluded to above) cholesterol is necessary for a metric shit-ton of vital metabolic processes throughout the body. Steroid hormones require cholesterol's chemical backbone as a building block for synthesis, also it as an integral component in cells' plasma membranes. (I know there are MANY other uses, but it's been a long time since I studied this stuff.) Using statins to lower the body's ability to produce cholesterol seems like it might have more effects than just lowering blood concentrations of cholesterol itself. 
     The body tends to produce only as much cholesterol as it needs. If it does happen to overproduce cholesterol, it has kind of an overflow valve where excess cholesterol is released from the liver as bile salts. This is what happens if you reduce saturated fat intake - the body's need for digestive cholesterol is reduced, so excess unused cholesterol us done away with. Eating foods high in soluble fiber also helps here. Soluble fiber globs together with the bile salts and make it harder for the large intestine to reabsorb them - ensuring that most of them just get flushed out.
     Certainly there are cases (genetic predisposition to overproduction) where statins are the only alternative to high cholesterol. But it seems lazy to just throw some pills at the problem without exhausting all other alternatives first.
     Exercise, eat a balanced diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, limit saturated and hydrogenated fat intake and avoid tobacco and excessive alcohol. This advice could save many lives and lower health insurance costs if doctors would just tell patients that by default. Instead, many doctors these days seem to just take a big shit on the hippocratic oath and, instead, do their best to help drug companies increase profits.

Proud Marine Dad said:
The brain needs carbs.

The body can also produce carbs. They are not an essential nutrient.

Back