• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

Looking great Bonnie! I said it before, but it's amazing what you are doing in harsh conditions! Also, that chile hidalgo looks really cool. What color do the pods turn and how do they taste? Keep up the great work!

Wow Bonnie, catching up on your glog has been great. I am impressed
by your ability to create a beautiful landscape and garden in rugged
conditions - you go, girl! I don't remember where I started, but the CG
pics showed these little plants; now look at 'em! They have grown so nicely.
You have lots of success stories to share - The pods you have are awesome.
I'm glad to see how your hard work and tenacity have paid off!

You mock the weather with your greenness :D

Paul, I really appreciate your words of encouragement! I loved your mocking the weather with your greenness comment! :rofl: I really think the high altitude sun helps the plants make up for lost time from the crazy spring weather. We will get periods of heat that cause blossom drop, but for the most part, once the peppers take off, there's usually no turning back!

You go Bonnie! Glad to see things are picking up for you. Looking forward to seeing what you make from all your pods. Cheers

Thanks, Rick! I'm getting impatient seeing all those pods and not being able to harvest any yet. Wish they would start ripening now before it's time for the kids to go back to school. Things get really hectic around here those first few weeks back, and I'm usually running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to can, dehydrate, etc., in between all of the school activities. Plus, one of my sisters, and my MIL are both planning a visit next month. Do you have certain relatives who have the ability to stress you out? Well, let's just say that having these two visit at the peak of harvest season is less than ideal timing, haha (she says wiping a tear from her eye).

Hi Bonnie,

Your gardens really filling in and the plants are getting tall. I can appreciate looking at other folks plants, especially plants that I don't have. You have a unique variety that will bring flavor to the kitchen table...........your garden "Cooks!"

Greg

Thanks! Very encouraged with the growth this year!

Looking great Bonnie! I said it before, but it's amazing what you are doing in harsh conditions! Also, that chile hidalgo looks really cool. What color do the pods turn and how do they taste? Keep up the great work!

The pods ripen red, but can't comment on the taste yet. This is my first year growing them. I've seen them compared to Serranos, and they do look similar in size and shape. I'll have to get back to you on the heat level.

Just got through catching up on your glog. The poppers and rellenos looked awesomely delicious, and I enjoyed the Pulpiteer vs. Fatalii video, especially the "this is not a pyramid" part! Good stuff!!!

"I really think the high altitude sun helps the plants make up for lost time from the crazy spring weather. We will get periods of heat that cause blossom drop, but for the most part, once the peppers take off, there's usually no turning back!"

That's the way it was in the Klamath Basin in Southern Oregon - if you could water it, it grew like crazy!

Looking pretty amazing Bonnie! Your plants look super healthy and it won't be long before the harvest baskets gotta get busted out!

They really are loading up for you! You got me thinking of starting a community garden in my neighborhood! Big harvests in your not so distant future. Seems like just yesterday you were facing June frosts and breaking out walls of water and empty containers to protect them babies!

They really are loading up for you! You got me thinking of starting a community garden in my neighborhood! Big harvests in your not so distant future. Seems like just yesterday you were facing June frosts and breaking out walls of water and empty containers to protect them babies!

Yeah, I've kind of tried to block out all those early season issues. I've got my eye on the prize now, LOL!

Hey, I thought about you and your "nots" this morning while I was down at the community garden. You know my giant Costeno Amarillo plants? Well there is a pod in there that was showing some color this morning, but it wasn't amarillo, it was looking pretty red to me, LOL! Guess I'll have to wait till it's fully ripe to know for sure, but I sure wasn't expecting that. Just went back and looked at my records, and those were received in a seed swap, so at least I didn't pay for them if they aren't really what they're supposed to be.

I'm getting excited now. If one pod is starting to turn, then the rest can't be far behind! :dance:

HELP!!!

Do you guys remember this pic?

Sandia7-16-12.jpg

Well, here is what one of the peppers off that plant looked like this morning!!! :eek:

S5302390.jpg

S5302389.jpg

S5302392.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is??? I've been researching pepper diseases, but haven't come across anything that looks like this. First it affected a couple of the bottom branches of the plant. Leaves were wilted, with these same brown lesions on them. Obviously, it is spreading. I'm thinking I should rip the plant out and throw it away. I do have another Sandia down at the community garden, so it won't be a total loss.

Gee Bonnie, that sucks. Is it just the pods or the leaves too? I've had the odd pod that has a soft spot due to some kind of infection but I just pull them off and dispose of them well away from my plants and it hasn't been a major problem... knock on wood...

I've had blossom end rot before, which is a soft, brown spot, usually towards the tip. This is totally different. The streaks are black, and there are no soft spots. Yes, there were some leaves/branches affected before this showed up on the pod. Just wondering if this is a fixable problem, or do I need to dispose of the plant entirely?

Bonnie, that looks like some kind of bacterial fungus to me. Try removing the infected areas and spraying with a half skim milk 1/2 water solution. You may need to do this several times. I sure hope that's all it is.

I got to thinking that the brown streaks on the stem reminded me of something I had noticed on some of my basil plants towards the end of the season the past couple of years. So I looked up diseases that affect basil, and turns out one of them can also affect peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes. Fusarium Wilt.

I know this picture is blurry, but you can clearly see the brown streaks on the stem. It looks just like the photo in the article below.

S5302393.jpg

http://www.ncbuy.com...s/01_10379.html

This is not good news! Apparently, It can live in the soil for several years, and be passed along by seeds of the affected plant. Thankfully, this plant is here at the house, so the plants at the community garden won't be afftected.

Has anyone else dealt with this before, and how did you handle it?

That awful about the disease, but as you stated atleast it is isolated good luck dealing with the issue hopefully everything works out. I have never dealt with Fusarium Wilt so I really can not provide any advice, but the article provides great information.

Well, the plant has been disposed of, and I found that the other pods on that plant were already showing signs of the wilt as well.

Now I guess the waiting game begins to see if any of the other plants start to show signs of the disease ...

Yeah, Rick, there is a county ag. office in the next town over from us. I've already thrown the plant out though, so might be hard for them to positively ID it now.

Just so my glog won't be all gloom and doom today, I thought I'd share what I saw right before dark this evening.

S5302394.jpg

We didn't actually get any precipitation this time around, but there's a chance of afternoon showers again tomorrow, so there's still hope.

Yeah, Rick, there is a county ag. office in the next town over from us. I've already thrown the plant out though, so might be hard for them to positively ID it now.

Just so my glog won't be all gloom and doom today, I thought I'd share what I saw right before dark this evening.

S5302394.jpg

We didn't actually get any precipitation this time around, but there's a chance of afternoon showers again tomorrow, so there's still hope.
Wow Bonnie! That's an amazing shot of a double rainbow a little after sunset... I've never seen anything like it. Do you think the recent fires might have something to do with it?

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Damn Bonnie, that wrecked my day. Hope it keeps to that one plant for you. You can try to sterilize that area by putting down some clear plastic with a small air gap to act like a mini greenhouse. Every few days cultivate the soil under the plastic to try to cook it clean. You did the absolute right thing chucking it, I waited too long, and Mild Mottle Virus has claimed victory at my house. I have more infected than not now. I don't know too much about how fusarium is transmitted, but if it can be transmitted through pests or mechanically its a good idea to work in the Community Garden first then come down to the house that way you minimize the chance of carrying it with you to your other plants. I carry hand sanitizer and use it between each plant as well. Good luck and keep us posted!

Beautiful rainbow shot!
Shane

I was just going to say "Call Shane!"

Good luck Bonnie - I live in fear of something like that happening here :(

Sorry to hear about the wilt - living in the soil for several years? Are you kidding me? That sucks. Hopefully it doesn't spread, you've already overcome quite a bit this year.

Back