• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

The yellow 7. Strong plant, very hot and very tasty. :P
Naga Morich, it's unforgettable.

Well, I guess I have a few months to research that topic!

Ackkk!!! Today as I was checking the pepper babies, I found a couple of aphids on a plant! These plants have never been outside, and have been aphid free for the past two and a half months. They either came in on one of the overwintering plants that I haul in and out every day, or they came in through the window screen. Is that possible, could they actually fit through those holes? Anyway, what was strange to me, is that I could only find them on one plant, and it was in the very center of all the trays. After searching, I could not find another single one on any of the other plants. I would have expected them to be on one of the plants near the outside of the trays, closest to the overwintering plants. Just seems odd that those tiny little bugs would have hiked past all those other plants to settle on the one in the center. :think:

I'm not breaking out any chemicals yet, but I'll have to keep a closer eye on my babies from here on out.

Bonnie, the peppers I have still inside also has aphids. The ones outside do not. I'm going to
give them a good rinse under the sink. I still need to harden them off. Planting out has been a
good week now.

I've battled the little bas$#rds all spring...inside and out! Just curious was the plant they were on an annuum or baccatum? Seemed like they attacked those first??? They eventually quit discriminating and hit them all. Ughhh, Good luck! I used neem oil and safer soap on my indoor plants, it kept them under control, but never did eliminate them.

Bonnie, your plants are looking great! Interesting anecdote about
the Inca Red Drop with fused cotys. The majority of my IRD sprouts
had fused cotys as well, but grew straight and true with no other
anomalies. I wonder if that is just a freak of the variety? I also had a
red hab with fused leaves like the plant you showed. After the plant
grew a little, that leaf just turned yellow and fell off by itself!

I share your observation about plant growth rates. I just think some
plants are just like i was as a kid, sort of a slow starter/late bloomer,
and there isn't much you can do but love 'em! I still have a choc hab,
a tepin and a red hab that are only a few of inches tall, but look great other
than that. I'll just leave them in small pots for a while longer, then put
them in 6" pots ('gallon").

And your hubby is a talented guy!

Thanks, Paul! I'll let the better half know you said so.

Speaking of him, he asked me the other day what I wanted for Mother's Day, to go out to eat, or for him to take the kids shopping to pick something out. I told him I wanted this new irrigation kit from Gardener's Supply Co.

http://www.gardeners...default,pd.html

It will take two to irrigate the entire plot at the community garden, but I spent way too much time over there watering the past couple of summers. I've already picked up a timer, so once it's in place, I can set it and forget it ... I hope.

Shane, I found more of the little @#$%* today, and I think so far it's been annuums that have been affected. I'll keep trying the squish method for another day or two, but if it looks like an infestation brewing, I'll break out the insecticidal soap. I've got some AzaMax, but I'll save that as a last resort. It's expensive, and a little hard on the plants even though it's organic.

Shane, I found more of the little @#$%* today, and I think so far it's been annuums that have been affected. I'll keep trying the squish method for another day or two, but if it looks like an infestation brewing, I'll break out the insecticidal soap. I've got some AzaMax, but I'll save that as a last resort. It's expensive, and a little hard on the plants even though it's organic.
Sorry to hear you have aphid problems. Here's something that may help... http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7885-metallic-silver-mulch-4-x-50.aspx Together with the insecticidal soap this might be enough to chase them off. It also has the side benefit of getting more sunlight into the canopy of the plants by reflecting it up off the ground, but the flip side is that since it greatly increases albedo in the area where you place it, it cools the soil that the sun would normally heat.

Hmmm ,,, interesting product. Not sure if cooling the soil would be a good thing here though, since our nighttime lows stay in the 40's until sometime in June or even July. We do get plenty hot during the day in the summer, and the sun is pretty intense at this altitude, so I don't know, maybe it would work ???

Sorry to hear you have aphid problems. Here's something that may help... http://www.johnnysee...lch-4-x-50.aspx Together with the insecticidal soap this might be enough to chase them off. It also has the side benefit of getting more sunlight into the canopy of the plants by reflecting it up off the ground, but the flip side is that since it greatly increases albedo in the area where you place it, it cools the soil that the sun would normally heat.

I researched this product before the season, and almost tried it...pretty good data supporting their claims. Increased yield and fewer pests. Only real draw back for me was is not water permeable so you'd have to use a soaker or drip system under it, or water through the planting holes. Decided to go conventional this season since it was my first year gardening in ground here at this house and my first year for many of these varieties. Next year I may try it out...

Took a few pics this evening, but not really enough light, so with my cheap point and shoot, some are not that great. Anyway, here we go.

Here is one of the Fish peppers, starting to show just a little variegation.

Fishshowingvariegation5-6-12.jpg

So these two plants look pretty similar, huh?

BlackHungariancomparison5-6-12.jpg

... except one is at least a foot taller than the other. My ridiculously tall Black Hungarian up against a Trinidad Perfume.

BlackHungarian5-6-12.jpg

Check out my fuzzy Chile Hidalgo.

ChileHidalgo5-6-12.jpg

Aji Angelo starting to form buds. I've already been pinching them off some of the annuums - Chimayo, Fresno, and Melrose. He's leaning a little from being near the window today. He'll be straight by morning.

AjiAngelo5-6-12.jpg

Chocolate Habanero, Long Pod. Probably the hottest thing on my growlist this season.

ChocolateHabaneroLongPod5-6-12.jpg

... and lastly, my pretty little Peach Habaneros all in a row.

PeachHabaneros5-6-12.jpg

The good news is no sign of aphids today. The bad news, it was still too windy to take the plants outside. The forecast says it should be calm on Tuesday, so maybe they'll get their first field trip soon.

That Black Hungarian is a trip! lol. Someone else posted one similar...would have to surf through the glogs to find it, but cool plant! Looks as though the timing of your starts was spot on! I think they'll be about perfect without crowding you out of your house before plant out! I really respect all you colder climate growers. So many more variables to work out. Keep it up! They'' forgive you for not getting their recess today.

Shane

First day outside!!!

Finally, the weather was good enough today to take the babies on a field trip. This is a shot of all of them.

S5301507.jpg

Annuums

S5301521.jpg

Chinense

S5301510.jpg

Mixture of Baccatums and Chinense

S5301522.jpg

This tray has the late germinators in it, and you can see they've pretty much caught up with everything else.

S5301515.jpg

One more group shot. You can see the veggie bed in the background where some of the lucky ones will spend the summer.

S5301527.jpg

Thinking about potting up a couple of the overwinters today ...

Your plants look really happy to be outside.

Have you decided which guys will be the lucky ones?

Well, no, not really. I was hoping the shade/sun issue could be the determining factor, but since that wasn't the case, I'm thinking I'll go by size. The Aji Yellow and Lemon Drop I grew last year were my biggest plants, so I'm thinking the baccatums will have to go at the community garden to have enough space. I've never grown any chinense before, how big will they get? So far they are my smallest plants, but I don't know if they will stay small or not. If they get pretty big, than maybe I'll put annuums in the veggie bed.

They looking amazing I see one that is trying to show his/her dominance over every other pepper plant.

Yeah, that one crazy pepper is one of my Black Hungarians. It was my favorite the last time I grew it, so I'm hoping it's ambition is an indicator of how productive it will be.

different chinenses grow differently.

I saw a picture of a guys bhut that was as tall as his house...

My 2yr old Orange Hab is about two feet tall, and has bushed out a bit this year, but isn't much different than it was last year.

I'm not too sure about peach habs and I'm not familiar with all the varieties you are growing... Guess what I'm saying is it depends on variety, and will probably take a bit of research =(.

how is the flavor on a black hungarian?

Sigh ... you and Jamie just won't make it easy for me, Ken. ;) Maybe I'll group the plants by heat level then. That would probably be easier to figure out than the growth habit of fifty-something varieties.

You know, I grew the Black Hungarian in '10, and when I try to remember the exact flavor I'm having a bit of taste bud amnesia, but I do remember the heat was similar to a jalapeno, and I used it a lot in salsas, powders, and jellies. My notes say it was my favorite that year though, so I guess it's a good thing I take notes each year!

Your plants are looking nice and healthy. Do you know if the peach Habs taste like the orange
Habs? Reason I'm asking is because last year I made orange hab jelly. Although it was a pretty
jelly, I did not like the flavor at all. My jalapeƱo jelly is tasty, but not hot. This year I'm going to
make a red savina and red scotch bonnet pepper jelly.

Thanks, Linda! Glad you stopped by!

I've never tried the Peach Habs before, but I hope I like them. When the first batch was slow to germinate, I started more seeds, so instead of ending up with two plants, I've got 5! I made Habanero Gold jelly last year using regular orange habs, and the flavor was fine to me, but I was too conservative, and it wasn't hot enough. Won't make that mistake this year. I think the peach habs are a little larger than the orange, but I don't know that there is a difference in flavor. I'm also growing Chocolate habs, so if I don't like the Peach, I can use the Chocolate ones for jelly. I've read that the Chocolate ones are hotter, not sure how attractive the color would be in a jelly though.

You'll have to let me know how the Red Savina and Scotch Bonnet jellies turn out. I'm kind of wishing I had grown a red hab too!

I'm going to expand my jelly horizons this year too. Pulpiteer posted a Lemon Drop Jelly that I'm going to try. My Lemon Drops didn't germinate though, so I'll be using Aji Yellows, Aji Chinchi Amarillos, etc. There's also a Spicy Raspberry Jelly recipe over on the Red Hot Recipes (Other) forum that I'd like to try, minus the smoked Trinidad Scorpion powder, since I don't have any of that.

Sadly, my supply of Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly is starting to run low, so I am looking forward to harvesting some pods and bringing out the canner!

Back