• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat HigherThisHeats Too Heated Hot Sauce - Take 2

My Second ever attempt at sauce. My last go using all scorpions was a fail.

I grew some red habs and had enough for a sauce.

Ingredients are:

A handful of red habs
1 carrot
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
2tbs lime juice
1 cup white vinegar
Salt

I sautéed the carrot and then added onion, garlic and habaneros, and sautéed until soft.

I then added about 1 cup water, and simmered until liquid evaporated.

Allowed to cool, and then added to food processor and pureed for several minutes, adding water, vinegar, lime juice and salt until I had a smooth constancy. (Not sure if adding more water was necessary)

Returned to pan and reduced to desired thickness.

Loaded 1/2 pint jars and gave the jars a hot water bath for 15 mins. (Also not sure If this step was necessary due to filling the jars hot)

My girlfriend made the green sauce on the right with roasted poblanos, and jalapeños.

I'm looking for feedback in my process and/or ingredients, as I really was just sort of winging the whole thing.

Do I let these sauces age for a few weeks at room temp or in the fridge?

2014-08-11 09.18.07.jpg

374.jpeg

368.jpeg

20140810_191721.jpg

Thanks for checking my sauce out

Looks great.  I think since you gave them a hot water bath you can let them mature in the fridge, or at room temp.  I do not give them my sauces a hot water bath, so they go right into the fridge and sit for at least two weeks.  Enjoy.  

HTH the onliest 'thang I would say is this....

Instead of adding water and reducing and then adding the vin and lime juice, I myself would just load up the pot with ever 'thang.

Once its all happy, I whoop out the motor boat and zip it until smooth.

Since its hot you want the consistency to be thinner than you imagine as when its cold.

If its too thick then thats the time to add water.

Othern' that, I'd say you "winged it" pert dang good!

Nice lookin sauce!

I agree with TB - throw it all in a pot, cook it til done (30 min, give or take), then into the blender. Then, some strain, some don't - choice is yours. Return to the pot for final adjustments and heat for bottling.

Looking at your recipe, it might be a little heavy with the vinegar. 2.5 cups of solids shouldn't need 1 cup of vinegar and 2T of lime juice. Check your pH with strips or a meter. pH should be below 4. If you don't have either, keep your sauce in the fridge and consider buying either strips or a meter. You want to be safe. By the way, if the pH is under 4, you can store the jars on the shelf - no need to refrigerate until opened.

Lastly, this is a cooked sauce. You don’t NEED to wait to try it. I’d try it now, and keep tasting it as it matures. That will help you understand how the flavor profile changes over time.

Nicely done! When you try it, let us know how it tastes.

Well I opened the sauce in the fridge and was not too happy. It has the constancy of baby food, and the flavor of carrot hot sauce. It taste way too vegetabley. :(

Good thing I have a freezer full of peppers.

If anyone has a simple and basic hot sauce recipe they'd like to share it'd be very much appreciated.

Here is a non-fermented sauce recipe I use

20 oz of peppers(your choice) 
4 tbsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 cups water
2 cups distilled white vinegar

Sauté peppers, garlic and onions in the vegetable oil for 5 minutes on high heat.  Keep heat high add water then cook for 30 minutes.  Remove from heat and let sit till it reaches room temperature.  Run everything through a food processor and add vinegar.  I then run mixture through a food mill and bottle.  I guess you can boil it down if it sauce is to watered down for you.  Must be refrigerated unless you give it a hot water bath.  Let sit for at least 2 weeks before enjoying it

Hope that helps.  You can add carrots or other stuff if you like, and adjust heat by the peppers you use.  The consistency I get is very similar to Tabasco sauce. 

Start simple and build on it.

Peppers (minced in food processor)
vinegar
salt
Garlic powder
xanthum gum (only IF you want to thicken/stabilize a sauce...check on proper amounts for this before you add it...it takes VERY little)

These are basic common ingredients found in a lot of sauces.  Franks and Tabasco pretty much just contains that, except they use fermented/aged cayennes.  Simmer that for a half hour, puree in a blender, back into the pot to simmer for another half hour.  I taste mine as I make it and adjust the amounts of the ingredients as needed.  Check pH, if under 4 bring to a nice low boil/simmer and hot-hold bottle it.

You should try making mini batches, as in the whole batch only has a few peppers and the total volume is like a cup.  That will help you avoid wasting a ton of sauce.  Also like I said, start simple, make a basic sauce, taste it, and think....hmmm maybe a bit of dehydrated onion, or smoked paprika, or nuclear grade plutonium, or whatever you think would be a nice addition.  If you add a ton of shit from the get go and it doesnt taste right, then it may be difficult to pin point what's throwing it off.

tctenten said:
  Run everything through a food processor and add vinegar.  I then run mixture through a food mill and bottle.

^^^This^^^
From experience, a blender will pulverize seeds if you leave it on long enough. Personally, I just pulse in the blender then run through a food mill, but if I had a larger food processor, I would use that. Gritty pulverized seeds make for a gritty sauce. Worse than leaving the seeds alone.

Yeah, I decided last night my sauce is just gross

The aroma....

The aroma is.... not good. Smells like vegetable puree, and has the consistancy of it too.

I'm thinking no amount of time will resolve this.

Take 3 coming up soon

Back