• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Nice score with the final harvest......hate to see you lose any of them due to the frost.

I can see a multi-colored Hot Pepper Relish in your future..................wait a second...........I just saw Snowflakes in my Crystal Ball

Nice haul, Jeff!  I find myself longing for plants being able to OW in the ground!

Bird bath froze over, but it looks like the peppers didn't get touched.  Doesn't matter as I pulled all pods.  Once these are smoked and dried, it will be break time!!!

So I have heard the yellow Congo is a habanero type. I have also heard it is a Trinidad type. Well after eating an omelet made from one today I think Trinidad is more like it. Hotter than any habanero I have tried. I think I will grow it again.
Doing some more research it is named a Congo yellow Trinidad habanero type. Wtf. Stated it gets 150k to 300k. This pepper is hotter than that. Also says it gets over 3 feet tall and loaded with pods. Neither is the case for mine.

HillBilly Jeff said:
So I have heard the yellow Congo is a habanero type. I have also heard it is a Trinidad type. Well after eating an omelet made from one today I think Trinidad is more like it. Hotter than any habanero I have tried. I think I will grow it again.
Doing some more research it is named a Congo yellow Trinidad habanero type. Wtf. Stated it gets 150k to 300k. This pepper is hotter than that. Also says it gets over 3 feet tall and loaded with pods. Neither is the case for mine.
Similar experience here, Jeff.

Sanarda sent me a Congo Trinidad Yellow which I have grown out two years.  
The first year, two pods and an 18" high plant.  This year, 20-3- pods and about 3' high.  
Maybe the third generation will be the real deal!  

I thought the heat was similar to my JA Red Habs from Devv, but here in the PNW, I imagine our
pods don't get as hot as the ones in warmer climes.  I like the Congo T yellow better
than the Congo T red, and will grow it again next year, hopefully.

PaulG said:
Similar experience here, Jeff.

Sanarda sent me a Congo Trinidad Yellow which I have grown out two years.  
The first year, two pods and an 18" high plant.  This year, 20-3- pods and about 3' high.  
Maybe the third generation will be the real deal!  

I thought the heat was similar to my JA Red Habs from Devv, but here in the PNW, I imagine our
pods don't get as hot as the ones in warmer climes.  I like the Congo T yellow better
than the Congo T red, and will grow it again next year, hopefully.

I didn't care for the red congo or the chocolate congo.  Greg sent me a yellow congo pod, I might have to grow it out from those to see what I get.  I need to get his pod out of the freezer and give it a taste too.

Had quite a few ripen over the 48 hours they were in the box.  Got em smoked and drying now.

10676258_10203211509998640_7275653275611085781_n.jpg

October 28th and I just went out and picked a fresh pepper from the raised beds.  Got more out there that I must have missed when I went through them last week.  Going to have to pick em clean again.

Got some 20 degree lows coming this week, so that should be it.

Really nice couple of bowls of peppers there! Are you going to pull and hang the plants in Spicy Chicken's style? Might be able to get the rest of them ripe rather than loosing them all to freezing and the compost pile. 

Cheers

PIC 1 said:
Ouch 20 degree lows !
We're looking at dropping temps down to the 30's by Friday......I still have a pod or two to pick by then....... :D 

I think the lake is helping you stay a little warmer than I am out here.  I think I have three/four days with 40s as the high.  Still, the latest I have picked fresh pods.  Even the plants I haven't covered were never frosted yet.

RocketMan said:
Really nice couple of bowls of peppers there! Are you going to pull and hang the plants in Spicy Chicken's style? Might be able to get the rest of them ripe rather than loosing them all to freezing and the compost pile. 

Cheers

I am going/have picked off all the pods and the ones that aren't ripe I place in a cardboard box with a couple red apples to continue ripening.  That is where the ripe ones from the last two bowls have come from.

Back