• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2019 Glog

Just throwing this up here as I don't have a list yet.  Going through my seeds to see what I need to order and I have the itch to plant already.  I know my staples will be planted this year, 7 pot burgundy, TS Yellow, Mustard Hab, Yellow Fatalii, Jigsaw, but not sure what all else will get planted at this point in time.

Onion plants are ordered and I am putting in orders for tomato seeds and all others.  Will probably buy a pack of paper lantern seeds as last years didn't grow true and I like the pods hanging down.  Not much for their taste, but they have a pleasing look to them.

To be continued...

Hey, Jeff, I hope those seeds turn up for you!  
I notice quite a few folk starting seeds in
bigger pots. Interesting idea.  Let's roots
develop unimpeded and fill the pot. I usually
transplant when cotys are green, which does
the same thing, but with the xtra step.

PaulG said:
Hey, Jeff, I hope those seeds turn up for you!  
I notice quite a few folk starting seeds in
bigger pots. Interesting idea.  Let's roots
develop unimpeded and fill the pot. I usually
transplant when cotys are green, which does
the same thing, but with the xtra step.

Thanks, I hope your grow does great this year.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Tomato List

Mortgage Lifter
Brandywine
Brandywine yellow
Nebraska Wedding
Amish Gold Slicer
Beefmaster
Arkansas Traveler
Homestead
Sunsugar
Abraham Lincoln
Box Car Willie
Lime Green Salad
Super Sauce
Big Mama

Jeff! Hey baby and whachu think them Super Sauce and Big Mama? I tried SS once and it was just big. Has Burpee perfected the taste on that once since about 2014? I lust for your one plot of 200'--I have 3 that I have to drive to and is a pain, man. lol Hey, had both hips replaced and am now bionic!  :dance:      ;)

annie57 said:

Jeff! Hey baby and whachu think them Super Sauce and Big Mama? I tried SS once and it was just big. Has Burpee perfected the taste on that once since about 2014? I lust for your one plot of 200'--I have 3 that I have to drive to and is a pain, man. lol Hey, had both hips replaced and am now bionic!  :dance:      ;)

I use the SS and the big mama as canning tomatoes.  Not sure I've tried em fresh before.  Usually run better boy too, but they die off too quick on me.  Must be something they're not resistant to.  Trying a lot of newer varieties this year too.  Best eating tomato is the sun sugar cherry tomato.  I can eat them until I'm full.

Congrats on the new hips hun, you're ready for the marathon now!!! ;)

Peppers are starting to pop

52857896-10213943453370517-3921536189013688320-n.jpg

52942197-10213943452450494-7249653776284385280-n.jpg

53333182-10213943451930481-5767105879740514304-n-1.jpg

Might have to be done with the seed trains.  Not sure if its old seed or what, but I am having tons of trouble with a lot of them.  Some I really wanted to try this year too.  Might be able to buy the plants online if it isn't too salty.

Other than that I have around 200 plants going and tomato planting is right around the corner.

How are your month old babies looking? We need pics.

So far this year, all my peppers are being started in 3.5" pots. And, I might sow as many as 25 seeds per pot. They're easy enough to separate later on and it increases the chance of getting at least something in every pot.

I've never done a seed train before, but I have one variety purchased from a (previously) reputable vendor that is giving me 0% germination. Right next to a different variety from the same vendor that has very high germination. Had a similar situation last year. "Grow your own" seems to work best for me.

HillBilly Jeff said:

I use the SS and the big mama as canning tomatoes.  Not sure I've tried em fresh before.  Usually run better boy too, but they die off too quick on me.  Must be something they're not resistant to.  Trying a lot of newer varieties this year too.  Best eating tomato is the sun sugar cherry tomato.  I can eat them until I'm full.

Congrats on the new hips hun, you're ready for the marathon now!!! ;)

I bit for Johnny's Granadero for a sauce--good germ--and Pozanno (su*cks for taste alone) but can whip up a stove-full and double camp-stove outside on deck, full of maters for cooking down for couple days if mixed with heirlooms and other tomatoes taste good: you know the drill, Jeff!. Sun Sugar is better than Sun Gold in my opinion. Lasts longer too. Brandy Boy is a great pink one--Burpee but some folks have stabilized the hybrid to the extent not giving those Burpee thieves too much. I hate Better Boy: Southerners want to shoot me since I'm from here and were first tomato plants I saw my parents put in: bare-root--got them wet, Daddy punched a hole, Mama followed with the plant and pushed it down. Fusarium wasn't as prevalent back then. Fusarium eat up a Better Boy now. I think they have lost their disease resistance to it OR the seed's not really resistant--you know they mess with stuff once it's reputable. I like Cherokee Carbon. I grow Cherokee Purple because I sell them at Farmer's Markets. NE Seed has Mountain Pride tomato seed. Man, it's determinate but farmers at the market love them because they TASTE GREAT and are a damned reliable tomato. Best part of the "Mountain Series" begat by Randy Gardner at NCSU. I graft some heirlooms too. CPurple, Pink Berkeley Tie-Die, and Marianna's Peace does great, grafted. Brandywine--Cowlicks--graft it! GD, graft it!! lol

Got new, 2' deep x 4' x 20' raised bed with aged horse manure, vermiculite, peat. Gonna top off with composted horse and Black Kow for drainage mostly--gonna try some ungrafted heirloom in there. Got the yellow striped landscape cloth underneath it--trying to keep fusarium out of mix. 

Okay off to print labels for maters and pot up the mess today and tomorrow. 

LOVE Y'ALL! More later when am not a juggler running out of hands!

Back