• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Home Gound Spices Recipes

I just bought a coffee and spice grinder and am planing to make some chilie powder..... when my plants grow pods and I can dry them etc....

Now I want to take it for a test grind with some spices, I'm not really into coffee. I've found this awesome dried spice store in a market which has masses of spices but I need recipes. Does anyone know a site that has raw spice combinations for home grinding with a view to then using in a recipe. Like rubbing on a steak or mixing into a sauce. I don't want all chillie recipes either cos I will have to bland it down for the family.

megamoo,

Can't point you in the direction of a one-site-recipes option, but of you just type in the spice blend of what you want, you can find recipes for everything.

In looking for recipes for this weekend's Cajun TD, I found recipes that included Creole mustard as an ingredient, and then I found recipes to make creole mustard.

jmho, but if you have a blend you would like to re-create, just google "cajun crab boil spice recipe" (insert desired flavor for the cajun one used as an example :lol: ) and you will find lots of recipes to get you started.

Here's one to get you started. The purpose of these searches is to get the spice blend of what's in a crawfish boil package as commercially marketed-

google search subject- cajun crab boil spice recipe (no good results)

next search- crawfish boil seasoning recipe (hmmmm- still no good results)

next search- crab boil spice mix recipe- and one result was---

"Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup pickling spices
* 1/4 cup sea salt
* 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
* 2 Tablespoons whole black peppercorns
* 2 Tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
* 1 Tablespoon celery seeds
* 1 Tablespoon minced dried chives
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 5 bay leaves

Preparation:
Add pickling spices, sea salt, mustard seeds, peppercorns, pepper flakes, celery seeds, chives, ginger, oregano, and bay leaves to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulsing, process until the mixture forms a coarse powder.

For cooking shrimp, add 1/4 cup of the spices, along with 2 teaspoons salt, to a large saucepan of boiling water or half water and half beer.

For lobster or crab, use 1 part distilled white wine vinegar to 3 parts water. Add the seafood and cook for 2 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove the seafood and serve or chill.

Yield: about 1 cup

http://homecooking.about.com/od/spicerecipes/r/blspice31.htm a spice recipe for crab boil."

I have no idea if this recipe is any good or not, but I hope it can show how flavors and recipes can be researched and can be the inspirations for more culinary fun.

Maybe I read your poast incorrectly, but I would not use the same grinder for coffee and spices. You'd have to tear the grinder apart to remove any particles of spices before you ground any coffee. Below is a 3 chile dry rub I use on pork, beef, and chicken, You can tweak it to your own likings.

2 parts smoked hickory salt
2 parts fresh ground peppercorns
1 part smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 part cumin
1/2 part toasted and ground coriander seeds
2 parts brown sugar
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1 part ground ancho
1 part red jalapeno chipot;e powder
1 part Chmayo chile powder
1/2 part Mexican oregano

It's all good my friend.

They market small grinders here in Australia as Coffee and Spice grinders.
I would never use a grinder for coffee after grinding spices in it, can't have anything mess with my coffee.

Nah we don't use them for coffee at all. More of a tea drinker.... maybe I get that from my English father.

I just bought a coffee and spice grinder and am planing to make some chilie powder..... when my plants grow pods and I can dry them etc....

Now I want to take it for a test grind with some spices, I'm not really into coffee. I've found this awesome dried spice store in a market which has masses of spices but I need recipes. Does anyone know a site that has raw spice combinations for home grinding with a view to then using in a recipe. Like rubbing on a steak or mixing into a sauce. I don't want all chillie recipes either cos I will have to bland it down for the family.

Whereabouts is the spice store Moo?

I grind a couple of spice mixes myself, unfortunatly I dont use a recipe :P
give it a try yourself... its not hard :P

basic tex-mex:
I start this one with a base of cummin and salt(again, more cumin then salt), then add a good ammount of corriander, and a bit of each onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano...
simple as that :)

basic cajun: (i find this one a little harder to get right)
i start with a base of paprika and salt(more paprika then salt), then add a bit of dried hot pepper, oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper
I just mix all that in ratios that seem to work for me.

thats all I've made so far... but I find I keep making each of them over and over :P
planning on doing some sort of univeral meat rub/marinade base soon too :D

EDIT: also, I use a mortar and pestle to grind my spice mixes... I find they make a much more consistant mix then a cheep coffee grinder.

Back