• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Home owners not being allow to grow a garden.

This just get crazier each day.There was a couple in Sugar Creek made to rip up their garden. There was a law passed after their garden was growing,but the law had a guideline of  30 day to be grandfather in.They fell short only by a few days.They're starting to do this type of garage here in Florida too. :doh:  :doh:  

When someone shared a story of how someone had to destroy their garden because it was in the front yard, I went down to the road and started a new garden parallel to the road.  Just my side of the drainage dip.  Cant get more front yard than that. Neighbors love it.  Last year I grew ghost peppers there.  Not sure what is going there this year, but likely change up the colors.  Its one of the reasons I love living rural, you can plant where you want.  We are zoned both agricultural and residential.

Had no idea they were passing laws forbidding gardens completely.  Got a link or story cause I would love to try and figure out the reasoning.

rghm1u20 said:
Will see at news that cops seized a carrot harvest from a guy growing them illegaly in his basement....

...and shot the poor fucker dead.  "He had a knife in his hand!"

Please explain to us non-USA members, no garden or no vegetables?
Just the front or back garden?
What's happening?

and this is how freedom falls.   This now sets a precedent that the government can tell you what you can and cannot do on your property if it is within public view.   "it is for the greater good, it increase property value".  

I would counter and sue the government stating that my right to self preservation trumps that of ones perceived right to a "beautiful landscape".  

This isn't about property values.   This is about control.    60 years ago this type of behavior was encouraged by the government via Victory Gardens.   

Now, they don't like the idea of someone avoiding taxes.   Citing that this isn't an "agricultural area".    Umm,  Since when has gardening been considered industrial agriculture?   I thought the point of residential zoning was to prohibit the mass pollution into the residential areas from industrialized agriculture.   

This type of crap needs to be fought in court, and supported by everyone.   

The only reasonable defense the city would have would be to cite the newly passed law, and maybe cite "public right of way" and make him remove the first 10 feet of his garden from the street / along utility lines.  

I would encourage everyone who reads this to sign the petition - HERE

Yeah its been on the KC news headlines and on radio around here.  This comes at a time when we need to keep pushing for urban gardening, not finding ways to discourage it. Sugar Creek has bigger problems to deal with like the meth culture that appeared there from next door city Independence. I think the Jackson County law enforcement worked pretty hard to run it out of there, but I hear its still a problem. There are good people there trying to get it out. 

Years ago in Ohio the drinking age was 18 for beer ( 3.2 or lower ) and 21 for anything stronger.  When they changed it to 21 for anything, if you were already 18 when the law went into effect you could continue to purchase beer.  Before this case, I thought that is how new laws had to work.

Not that I think the law is right, but they should at a very minimum exempt existing gardens.

ajdrew said:
Years ago in Ohio the drinking age was 18 for beer ( 3.2 or lower ) and 21 for anything stronger.  When they changed it to 21 for anything, if you were already 18 when the law went into effect you could continue to purchase beer.  Before this case, I thought that is how new laws had to work.

Not that I think the law is right, but they should at a very minimum exempt existing gardens.
That is how most laws work.  They don't criminalize something and then penalize someone who was perform the legal act prior to it's criminalization.  

The point of this law however, was to suppress this person's ability to garden on their property because of "the betterment of the community and property value" 

They didn't like the idea of "food spoiling" and "unsightly plants" in public view.    This was was directed at this sole person, and has worked to criminalize their efforts to provide food for themselves.  

In my opinion shouldn't it be also criminal, using the logic of this law, to block out the sun from someone's property?   Since everyone's property must conform for the "common good" and since there is now a law in place banning front yard gardens.  The neighboring tree's would now be at a "detriment to his sustainable lifestyle".   

One of the things I am noting is that he said the garden got over grown last year.  Kind of like a lawn getting overgrown, maybe promoting insects and rodents, I can see a warning.  Dad broke his leg when I was a kid, it was before i could mow a lawn.  We gt the nasty letter, I learned how to mow a lawn.

Hybrid, thinking that is one of the challenges of a representative democracy.  When your representatives happen to be those "control freak pissants" then even the majority is screwed.  Would love to know how  a vote would have gone down.

Vex, the way you put that makes me think of the Borge from Star Trek.

ajdrew said:

That law sucked for me. I was a younger teenager at them time......

ajdrew said:
One of the things I am noting is that he said the garden got over grown last year.  Kind of like a lawn getting overgrown, maybe promoting insects and rodents, I can see a warning.  Dad broke his leg when I was a kid, it was before i could mow a lawn.  We gt the nasty letter, I learned how to mow a lawn.

Hybrid, thinking that is one of the challenges of a representative democracy.  When your representatives happen to be those "control freak pissants" then even the majority is screwed.  Would love to know how  a vote would have gone down.

Vex, the way you put that makes me think of the Borge from Star Trek.
ONE OF US
Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     It's all about doing what's best for the common good of a select few control freak pissants.

Also, thanks for posting the petition, VV. Signed.

Mhm.  I am a firm believer in petitions.  I have seen them work wonders on non-corrupt political minds.  

karoo said:
Please explain to us non-USA members, no garden or no vegetables?
Just the front or back garden?
What's happening?
Sugar Creek the garden was in the front yard,but some can't have one period.Just plain crazy.People making rules as they go. I remember a guy who showed people like this,who the boss really was.The guy had cows in the middle of restaurants.He had tons of money and lawyers too.They all bought their land from him,but he still owned a piece right in the middle of them .Someone finally bought it from him.  

Back