• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Homemade Airlock Tutorial

Saw a few videos online using the tube from a pen and a spent shell casing, but I wanted something a little more put together.

Materials:

• [SIZE=8pt]3/8'' Clear Tubing[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]3/8'' Rubber Grommet[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]Rx Pill Bottle[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]Jar Lid[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]Rubber Band[/SIZE]

Tools:

• [SIZE=8pt]Power Drill[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]Assorted Drill Bits[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]Razor Knife[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]Hot Glue Gun[/SIZE]
IMG_20150915_194956_zpsywhgqxf3.jpg

Drill a 3/8'' hole in the jar lid. Start with small bit and work your way up to 3/8'' to get a clean hole. Once your hole is sized insert a grommet.

IMG_20150915_195046_zps89ektyda.jpg

Drill 3/8'' hole in top of pill bottle. Again start with small bit and work your way up.

IMG_20150915_195142_zps1r33mlj4.jpg

Drill holes around the lip of the pill bottle.

IMG_20150915_195314_zpsuhae5bre.jpg

Now you're ready to assemble!

IMG_20150915_195220_zpsdo6h0pz8.jpg

Hot glue the pill bottle to the lid opposite the grommet. 

IMG_20150915_195337_zpshukbs26l.jpg

Make sure the lid is screwed on tight to the pill bottle and the hole in the lid is indexed away from the grommet hole on lid.

IMG_20150915_195401_zpskzwikjy4.jpg

Use rubber band to relieve tension from the bent tubing and you're done.

IMG_20150915_195437_zpsetsnrxku.jpg

JohnsMyName said:
I'll end up buying some, but already had my first ferment going and did't want to wait for shipping. Also it's way more fun to DIY!

That looks kickass!  Was getting the grommet in the lid a pita?

I saw a similar one but they came up through the bottom and bent it 180 deg in the bottle.  Looked like it would pinch pretty easily.  I bought a few yesterday for 2 bucks at the brew store.  Then I drilled some metal mason lids.  It's kinda a pain to get it de-burred after using a drill bit.  I had much better luck with a step drill bit and pilot hole.  I ended up making the hole 1/2 which was a little loose but made it easy to get the stems inserted.

Rairdog said:
I saw a similar one but they came up through the bottom and bent it 180 deg in the bottle.  Looked like it would pinch pretty easily.  I bought a few yesterday for 2 bucks at the brew store.  Then I drilled some metal mason lids.  It's kinda a pain to get it de-burred after using a drill bit.  I had much better luck with a step drill bit and pilot hole.  I ended up making the hole 1/2 which was a little loose but made it easy to get the stems inserted.

Step drill would be much better, good call. I just went slow one bit size at a time.
dragonsfire said:
Cool! Thanks :)
Handy if you have the parts on hand. I see them $3 on line but shipping $6 lol

Yeah, def cheap enough online, but I wanted one right away as my first ferment already had been in jar for a few days. This one cost me $1.32 each  :party:

grantmichaels said:
They are too cheap to DIY, but I'll give that some Walter White style points ...

I agree...if you can find them locally and avoid shipping.  I wanted to experiment anyway since I have a collection of various size jugs and lids.  They were out of big mouth plastic lids.  The lady said they tried drilling metal lids but it was not worth the effort or cost effective to de-bur.  I imagine they will rust pretty quick after drilling. 

I have made my own lids with grommets.  The airlock is available locally for me at the same place I get the white labs lacto so I just combine the trip and get both.

If I had room though I think it would be fun to take your idea and expand on it.  Five or six ferment jars with tubes feeding into one large airlock in the center.  You could rig it up to look steampunk or Rube Goldberg pretty easily.

-Alden

AldenMiller said:
I have made my own lids with grommets.  The airlock is available locally for me at the same place I get the white labs lacto so I just combine the trip and get both.

If I had room though I think it would be fun to take your idea and expand on it.  Five or six ferment jars with tubes feeding into one large airlock in the center.  You could rig it up to look steampunk or Rube Goldberg pretty easily.

-Alden

I like it! 

Back