• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Homemade "Green Tabasco" Jalapeno Sauce

This will be my first venture into the world of hot sauce creation. I am absolutely addicted to the green Tabasco brand jalapeno hot sauce, and I'd like to make a sauce with a similar flavour profile. Obviously, Jalapenos will be required, but does anyone have any other tips for how to achieve the same (or better) taste? I'm assuming to really get it similar I would need to ferment it as well, but I don't actually know how fermenting changes the flavor of a sauce nor if that would be required (I know their Tabasco-based one is fermented for quite a while but I don't know if they do the same for this one).

According to the bottle, it seems pretty simple, all that is in their sauce is vinegar, jalapenos, water, salt, corn starch, and xanthan gum, ascorbic acid. So my ingredient list so far is just:
  • Lots of Jalapenos
  • Distilled Vinegar
  • Water
  • Salt
Would any of the ingredients I left out be important for the taste? I also found one recipe that I was planning on trying to follow, but there aren't any quantities on the ingredients: http://catalystcooks.com/2011/01/11/jenny-hot-sauce-homemade-green-tabasco/

Any tips / suggestions / encouragement is welcome! I'm planning on attempting something today. I'll try to take pics as I go. :)

None of the items left out will effect the taste. If you haven't already done so, check out the Fermenting 101. Have fun, and deffinitley post pics. :cool:

I have read it. It seems pretty involved but is something I want to attempt. If not this time, then next time for sure. How would fermenting it change the taste?

So I've made it, unfortunately I don't have a good camera right now but it's turned out pretty tasty. It's a bit "zestier" than I'd like, but I think if I was to ferment it it would make the flavor thicker. Any suggestions on what to add would be welcome as well. I'm impressed at how strong the flavor is. I strained the sauce which I think makes the taste a little more vinegar-y which I don't like as much, so I think I might mix some of the mash back in. I'm also thinking of using the rest of the mash as like a crust for some baked chicken.

Sauce + Mash separated. :)
TjT1k.jpg

I make a lot of fermented sauces, in fact I think I always have a few batches "cooking" at any given time.

It's really not a difficult process and people make it out to be WAY more complex than it needs to be.

At it's most basic.....

1. Chop up your peppers, and some salt.
2. Store in pantry for 1-6 mos.
3. ENJOY!

Now obviously that is OVER-simplified, but fermentation WILL happen.

If I were to try and make it I would likely process my peppers, salt, a dash of sugar and some GARLIC. Place in a large jar with a lid and hide it in the pantry.
6 weeks later I would remove it, strain it, simmer it, add an acidifying agent (vinegar or lime juice)... taste, and adjust... ENJOY!

You never know, you may like your version BETTER!

I tried to make a Shriracha knock off, and it's so much better than the store bought stuff that I have to hide it at the office because people fight over it!

Don't over think it!

Kat

Back